1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 2:14 AM by dconvery

any news on DCD exam date?

friedchicken Novice

Hi All,

i'm going on the design course in the middle of this month and was wondering if anyone has heard when the exam will be released as i would like to get it done close to doing the course if possible.

i understand the beta exam is running up to the 12th Nov so do you think it will take them long to release the final exam?

thanks.

• 1. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
          scott28tt Champion
          User ModeratorsCommunity WarriorsVMware Employees

You are right that the beta exams are taking place next week, but until those are done and the results are analyzed the final exam won't be made available. I'd expect to see the exam in late-December or early-January.

My blog has a good collection of VCAP-DCD information: http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com/search/label/vcap-dcd

Scott.

-

VCP, VCI, vExpert 2010

Blog: http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com/

Web: http://thinkvirtually.co.uk/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/vmtraining

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
            friedchicken Novice

cheers Scott - i hope it will be sooner rather than later so all the info doesn't leak out my head!

• 3. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
              AndreTheGiant Guru
              vExpert

As written by Scott, beta exam runs next week (this time the beta period is very small).

After that (probably 1 month) will be released the final exam.

PS: start to create your account on VUE site... You will need a different account (VMware Advanced is the program).

Andre

• 4. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                Amievil Hot Shot
                vmware wrote:

This is the email that I received from certification@vmware:

-     You must take the exam between the dates of November 8 and November 12, 2010.  If you are not able to take the exam by this date, we will notify you when more testing opportunities are available.

-     The exam is four (4) hours in length to allow time for candidates to comment on each item. Your comments are invaluable in improving the overall exam. You will receive a score report documenting your participation at the end of the exam.

-     When the beta exam is complete a statistical exercise is conducted to establish the cut score.  Exam results are then rescored and a score determination finalized.  This will take approximately 6 to 8 weeks from the conclusion of the beta.

-     As a beta exam candidate you are eligible for a 50% off discount on the exam price.  During exam registration, you will see this discount reflected in the price of the beta exam.

-     You may only sit for the VCAP4-DCD beta exam one time.  If you take the beta exam more than once, you will not be eligible for the certification.

-     The blueprint for this exam can be found at www.vmware.com/go/vcap.  (Select the Datacenter Design tab)

Have something new or change?

I booked my test in 10/nov using my same account of my VCP certification. Have some problem doing this?

Julio,

www.teletex.com.br

______

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points (Correct or Helpful).

• 5. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                  AndreTheGiant Guru
                  vExpert

I booked my test in 10/nov using my same account of my VCP certification. Have some problem doing this?

If you've booked you're fine

Have something new or change?

Have a look also at the simulation of the "visio" part.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/courseware/82525/VCAPDCD_Tutorial.swf

Andre

• 6. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                    michgri Novice

I took the exam this morning, and if I hadn't seen that demo I think I'd have been in trouble.

I wasn't entirely happy with the diagrams, though. The simpler diagrams were fine, but there were a couple of them that I thought required more complicated diagrams. It got to be a bit much in my opinion, and it was really difficult to check your work to see what you had done. It also wasn't entirely clear to me how you were supposed to connect things together in a few of them.

The items where you matched up items in one column with items in a second column didn't seem to work terribly well, either. I had trouble placing some of the items in the appropriate column. It was way too easy for them to slip into the wrong place, and if you have more than three items in the second column then you couldn't see all the items. This made it difficult to check your work for mistakes.

Overall I thought it was a reasonably good exam. I did have some issues with specific items (i.e., poorly phrased or unclear questions). Then again, I always do. 

• 7. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                      JamesConaway Enthusiast

I did have some issues with specific items (i.e., poorly phrased or unclear questions.+++

I suspect those unclear questions are intentional. I ran into that on the DCA exam. IMO with those questions, you either know the answer or you don't. They keep it vague to test the depth of your knowledge.

• 8. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                        michgri Novice

There were certainly some questions where that seemed to be what they were after, but I saw a few where the information they gave you was just ambiguous.  I'm not a big fan of that approach, particularly when we're dealing with design where there are usually more than one way to do things anyway. I think the risk with this approach is that you end up testing the candidate's ability to take tests rather than their actual knowledge.

I shoudn't complain, though, since I'm usually pretty good at taking tests.

• 9. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                          Osaili Novice

Hi michgri,

I just took the exam, I wonder how much questions you got because I got around 130 Questions and the asked me to comment on each one !!!

• 10. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                            MarkStrong Hot Shot
                            vExpert

130 auestions??? That is insane!

Guys, can anyone give any additional info on the exam. What areas are they testing the knowledge on in particular?

Thnak you.

• 11. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                              scott28tt Champion
                              Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsVMware Employees

In the beta exam (which VCAP-DCD currently is), VMware will ask you pretty much every question they currently have - the final exam won't have anything near 130 questions. Go to http://www.vmware.com/go/vcap and click on the VCAP-DCD page for all the resources such as the blueprint. I also have a collection of VCAP-DCA and VCAP-DCD resources and links on my blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com

Scott.

-

VCP, VCI, vExpert 2010

Blog: http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com

Web: http://thinkvirtually.co.uk

Twitter: http://twitter.com/vmtraining

• 12. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                                michelemase Enthusiast

30 seconds for each question??

• 13. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                                  MarkStrong Hot Shot
                                  vExpert

Thank you Scott

I have gone through the exam blueprint, attended Design Workshop and currently reading the Best Practices and Guides. You blog is on my subscription list of course.

I just want to get some inside info on the exam like "I had XX MC questions, two scenarios with 10 MC questions each and then the design diagram where I needed to choose appropriate storage and network solutions etc etc. Make sure you know such and such aspects of VMware design... " Something like that.

VCP4 | MCITP | HP Master ASE | CCNA

• 14. Re: any news on DCD exam date?
                                    michgri Novice

There were 131 questions, but we had four hours to answer them. It is a beta.

In terms of what was on the exam, I think I can safely say that knowing the material in the blueprint is a good idea. I would recommend knowing  the requirements for features, which features don't get along well with each other, general best practices for certain common applications, etc. I don't think I saw anything that wasn't in the blueprint. Where I missed questions, I'm sure it was because I didn't know the material wel enough. 

I strongly suspect the Design Workshop is a good idea, but I haven't been able to swing that yet.

Also, someone had posted a link to a video showing the interface for the diagram questions that was worth watching.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next