VMware Cloud Community
WICVMADMIN
Contributor
Contributor

VM Tools Upgrade to match host issue

I am having trouble using the default baseline: VMware Tools Upgrade to Match Host. I have used VUM to upgrade my ESXi hosts from 4.0 to 4.1 with no issues and I have upgraded W2K3 and W2K8 VM's Tools to match host with no issues, so I believe my VUM configuration is working properly. However:

VUM seems to not want to scan or remediate W2K8 R2 VM's for the VM Tools. The reason given in the logs is: "Patch scan or remediation is not supported on because of unsupported or unknown OS". I am aware that VUM will no longer support patching of VM OS's and cannot patch the W2K8 2 OS but, is VUM not able to upgrade the VM tools in W2K8 R2 as well?

Thanks!

Joel

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Margarita
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Please see p. 18 of the vSphere Compatibility Matrixes: http://vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf.

Windows Server 2008 R2 is marked as N/A for scanning and remediation, so I guess that Update Manager doesn't scan or remediate this OS.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

a workaround is to set it at the guest level. Edit settings of the guest, go to the Options Tab--VMware Tools --"Check and upgrade Tools during powering cycling".

This is our preferred method