VMware Horizon Community
jcrayski
Contributor
Contributor

Video RAM Settings

I searched through the group here and googled it and cannot really fins a good answer. I have a template vm and the video settings are correct and have powered up the vm at the video ram stays at the correct setting. However, when I clone the vm and then assigne it as in a manual pool with dedicated assignment the video ram drops down to 35.9MB. I have tried editing the vmx file svga line with 134217728 within the quotes directly with the setting for 128MB of ram and save. When the system boots up it is back to the 35.9MB. Of not though when I do an automated pool with floating assignment the view settings stay as entered with 128B of ram. We are using dual monitors and need the extra RAM.

Any ideas to help me resolve this issue?\

Thanks

Jim

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What version of View are you running? It is my understanding that you are always supposed to let VMware View manage the video memory based on whatever you have specified in the pool settings. I have never touched my video memory and have no problems running dual monitors at a high resolution.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
jcrayski
Contributor
Contributor

We are running View 4.5. I was unaware that video ram setting could be managed/controlled within the view console. Can you point out where?

Thanks

Jim

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

There is no way to directly manage it unless you cound the monitor and resolution setting in the pool. From what I understand when View connects the desktop it is supposed to allocate the correct amount of video ram.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Video RAM should be handled by View based on the number of monitors you specify.

I've had good luck using this Powershell script to manually set the Video RAM, as well.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
jcrayski
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all your help. I was still unable to get control of the video ram issues. I created a new VM from scratch and then edited the setting before loading the base os and it seems to be ok now.

Thanks Again

Jim

0 Kudos
farrelljMIT
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and I opened a ticket with VMWare. They responded with the following and it seems to work so far.

As I understand from the Support Request notes, the issue you are* experiencing is the video RAM settings won't stick when you set them. It sounds the changes are being made in vCenter, but unfortunately View doesn't ask vCenter if changes has been made to its environment. To increase the VRAM, please edit your pool in View Manager and increase the number of monitors and/or resolution. "Finish" out of the wizard and provision a new VM to see the increased allocation. *For example, a pool set to max out at 2 monitors with a resolution of 2560X1600 will assign 62.5MB of RAM.

0 Kudos
jcrayski
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for the input.  I eventually opened a case and worked with a Tech and we found that the best way to increase the video RAM was to set monitors and resolutions to max regarless of the actual number of moitors and resolution they desire.  As it turn out that is the only place to get some control over view ram.  Additionally, we were experiencing issues with Flash and other Video's and our solution was to not control any Flash/Other Streaming Videos and found that solved the choppy streaming video issues.

Thanks for all the help

Jim

0 Kudos