VMware Cloud Community
hattster
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to have the HA heartbeat on two seperate networks

Hi,

My question is whether it is possible to have an HA heartbeat on two different networks and if either of them are lost the host restarts its VM's on another host. Also could somebody please link me to an article that discusses putting the HA heartbeat on another network.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I understand right you are looking for a type of proactive failover - i.e. if I have two links and lose one, I want to identify this and proactively move the VMs to a healthy host that still has redundant HB networks. Unfortunately, HA will only failover if both HB links are lost. There is no capability to detect and act on a loss of a single HB link when redundant service console networks are in place.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Yes you can have two HA heartbeats on separate networks. Just created a second service console on the other vswitch or vlan. HA will actively use both service consoles for heartbeating.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCDX

-

Soon to be release: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS deepdive (end of November through Amazon.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

As Duncan said create one more SC port to make it as additional HA heartbeat network. If you don't know, how to create one more SC port, Here we go:

http://www.vladan.fr/adding-second-service-console-via-cli/

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Duncan, with an iSCSi vSwitch adding this will it detect if the iSCSI storage is no more?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No it will detect that the isolation address is not reachable anymore which is not necesarilly the same, but I guess pretty good. So in this case create a secondary service console on the iSCSI vSwitch and set your iSCSI target as second isolation address.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos