VMware Cloud Community
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does applying all Critical Updates on an "ESX Update 1" Host = "ESX Update 2"?

I applied "Update 1 Complete" to a few ESX Hosts, which worked fine, but then noticed that many critical updates were waiting to be applied. With my Windows Service Pack / Critical Update mentaility cap on, I decided it was a good idea to apply all critical updates thinking this would leave me at "Update 1" plus all critical updates available before "Update 2" was released. However, after applying all critical updates, the build number appears to be "Update 2"? I made sure that Update 2 was not in the patch list to be applied before Remediation. So the question is, does applying all critical updates automatically raise you to the next major release level. In my case, raising the Host from ESX4 Update 1 to ESX 4 Update 2? I need clarification on this since I need to remain at Update 1 due to HCL constraints.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

don't be too confused, there is a bug in 4.0.x, but has been fixed in 4.1. Also, there is a known issue in vCenter 4.0 base the U1 fixes

see below

• vCenter displays incorrect version of ESX host after vCenter service restarts

>If you restart vCenter server service after you upgrade the ESX host, vCenter might display an incorrect version of the ESX host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

U2 base is Build Number: 261974. However any security, general or critical patches prior will also change your U1 build number to something closer to U2. You can check your ESX host by issuing a few commands

vmware -l

or

vmware -v

also

esxupdate query

finally, U2 is considered a critical update so, depending on your baseline, you may have applied the U2 update.

0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy, but now I'm really confused! Smiley Happy

On two different Hosts, vCenter is showing ESX 4.0.0, 261974, but vmware- v is showing ESX build-208167

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

don't be too confused, there is a bug in 4.0.x, but has been fixed in 4.1. Also, there is a known issue in vCenter 4.0 base the U1 fixes

see below

• vCenter displays incorrect version of ESX host after vCenter service restarts

>If you restart vCenter server service after you upgrade the ESX host, vCenter might display an incorrect version of the ESX host.

0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nice, thanks again Troy!

0 Kudos