0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 8:02 AM by DavidMcKnight

Winlogon.exe errors at boot

DavidMcKnight Novice

I have a lab of 50 workstation VMs.  All clones from a master image.  Windows XP SP3, 2gig ram, 2 vCPU.

Ramdomly on boot some of the VMs will boot up with a winlogon error message.  This morning when I rebooted the whole room, I had over a dozen VMs with winlogon errors.  I don't know if this is a VMWare issue or an OS issue, but I rarely get messages like this on my physical boxes.  I've had these ghosty winlogon errors for a long time, but as I'm scaling up they are become more annoying.  If I reboot the room again there will be different set of VM with winlogon erros.

Maybe 12 workstations had errors like these at the desktop.

winlogon.exe The instruction at "0x5ad71572" reference memory at "0x5ad71572".  The memory could not be "written"
      winlogon.exe The instruction at "0x5ad71549" reference memory at "0x5ad71549".  The memory could not be "written"

A couple had same type of error at CTRL-ALT-DEL.  that once cleared would core dump and reboot. 

A few others had a simple

winlogon.exe encountered s problem and needed to close.

They are running off a clust of ESXi 4.0 hosts.  No host in the cluster has a CPU utilization even spiking above 25%, no host in the cluster has more the 50% of it's memory in use.

Any idea how to trouble shoot this?

Thanks,