VMware Cloud Community
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

2008r2 64-bit nic issue on patched ESXi4 host

So, I've been banging my head againt the wall for about 3 hours trying to figure out why I cant get a newly created nic (ive tried e1000,vmxnet,vmxnet2, even vlance) to see my network. Every other server on this dev host can get an active nic just by installing tools (which I have uninstalled and re-installed 3-times) I've currently run vim-cmd vmsvc/device.createnic so many times I can do it with my eyes closed.. any advice given is much appreciated because I'm stumped.. (for once)

VCP5-DCV, CCNA Data Center
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you saying the NIC you're presenting to the VM is not showing up as installed on the VM?

Jim Peluso

"Keep Moving Forward"

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The nics are showing up as installed, but are saying 'network cable unplugged' - I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

0 Kudos
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the VM is the NIC checked off for Connected and Connect at Power on?

Jim Peluso

"Keep Moving Forward"

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, the nic is connected and set to connect on power on. Im in a little different scenario. I manage the vms through VmwareGo (remote console) and I admin the host through ssh using Putty.

I noticed that esxi is seeing my server 2008 box as a windows 7 os-family instead of the regular WinNetStandard guest. I've attached the nic connection query output.

0 Kudos
KrishK
Contributor
Contributor

Is this the case even when you try removing and adding a new vNIC to the Guest??

WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok, here was the solution:

My new machine's .vmx file didnt have my added nic's networkName.. it was set to "", so I pulled down the .vmx and took a closer look

The fix:

Edit the .vmx file's added nic networkName = "VM Network"

scp that edited .vmx back to the ESXi host

Run vim-cmd vmsvc/reload vmid

THEN DISCONNECT AND RECONNECT THE DEVICES

Run vim-cmd vmsvc/device.connection vmid 4000 0 (disconnect)

Run vim-cmd vmsvc/device.connection vmid 4000 1 (connect)

Do this for each added nic and viola! Success!

I hope this helps someone else out and saves them some time..

0 Kudos