VMware Cloud Community
Kiil
Contributor
Contributor

Problem after removed a LUN from ESX4

Hi,

recently I removed a LUN from my ESX hosts, and then something strange happend. The LUN, with LUN id 8, disapeard from vmhba0, but not from vmhba1. This resultet in a very high "Disk latency" and svMotion didn't work.

This message appeard in the console (and in the messages log):

"Oct 10 01:20:22 host-p-d-esx01 kernel: http://11133215.835955 sd 4:0:3:0: still retrying 799941 after 360s"

Before I discovered this problem, the LUN was unpresented from the SAN as well, so no way back there. The LUN path then appeard with status "dead". I didn't manage to remove this LUN id from vmhba1 in any other way than do a "cold boot". Normal "shutdown -r now" resultet in a hang situation when trying to umount the LUNs.

BTW: I've added and removed LUNs many times to these ESX hosts without problems.

Does anyone here experienced this, and is there anything to do other than "cold boot" ? Any recommendations ?

Enviroment/Servers:

VMware ESX 4.0.0, build 236512 (4 of them)

HITATCHI SAN

Regards,

BKiil

Bjørn-Ove Kiil
0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You could mask the LUN using the claimrule feature discussed in the Fibre Channel SAN Configuration Guide, but a reboot might be faster and/or safer.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anytime you make changes to the SAN as far as adding or removing LUNs and things like that. Do a rescan for datastores on your hosts. If you dont it will cause issues. My VMs would blank out every view minutes when I forgot to rescan. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I've run into this issue with HDS, and a cold boot was the only way to get things back in order. See this kb for a description of what may have happened.

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

vmwise.com / @vmwise

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos