VMware Horizon Community
SpierceCPES
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 4.5+Wyse V10LE+TCX USB Redirection

Hello, I'm new to these forums; I've turned to these forums for advice/help with the current implementation I'm working on.

Some Background information:

We have purchased 250 Wyse V10LE Thin clients, two Dell Poweredge R900 Servers, VMware VSphere Standard (8 CPU) and 2x Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition. Our original deployment was a set of virtual Server 08 VM's acting as terminal servers, the V10LE's connected to these Virtual Terminal Services and were provided desktops based on the server. This turned out to be a major disaster and now the 30 users on those clients that we deployed are suffering daily with constant crashing and inability to accomplish their work.

Current predicament: We've now changed our game plan to incorporate VMware View.

In testing, I first tried View administration server 4.0 (Old Version) After some fiddling, we were able to get the Thin client to work perfectly in the view environment, keep in mind, this environment did not utilize VMware view Composer as I was unaware of its capabilities, and was simply testing. I was able to get the TCX USB redirection to work flawlessly by installing the server suite on the windows XP VM the thin client was connecting into. We were able to redirect Multi-function brother printers and utilize every function of the printer as if it were installed on a local PC.

After discovering how perfectly this would solve our problem I decided to try the View administrator 4.5 package. This is where I've ran into problems. The TCX USB virtualization does not work AT ALL. The client detects the USB device, TCX on the client side is functioning properly, the server suite is installed on the Backend (Win XP Non-persistent VM). I've now installed and am using the composer portion of the View administration, the capabilities of using composer are phenomenally advantageous to our environment.

I've tried installing the View Agent on the XP desktop with all modules including USB virtualization, forwarding did not work at all. After receiving the suggestion of installing the View agent without USB redirection from a Wyse tech support person, I tried that, same results. I'm not sure what differences there are between the View 4.0 and 4.5 Server, but whatever has changed is not permitting this to work.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In 4.0, there was an option under View Connection Servers settings to have the Connection Server do "Direct Connections" to the desktop. This would basically bypass the connection server and have your client directly connect to the VM. This was required for a lot of TCX to work in 4.0. I don't even see that option in 4.5, so perhaps that is the problem you are seeing?

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In 4.0, there was an option under View Connection Servers settings to have the Connection Server do "Direct Connections" to the desktop. This would basically bypass the connection server and have your client directly connect to the VM. This was required for a lot of TCX to work in 4.0. I don't even see that option in 4.5, so perhaps that is the problem you are seeing?

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
SpierceCPES
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns out this was the problem, I actually discovered this early yesterday morning, it's referred to as "use secure tunneling' in view 4.5, if disabled, TCX works perfectly.

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What about your external users? If you configure a direct connection (disable 'use secure tunneling') to get TCX to work, how do your external users connect to the environment? All connections that go through a security server are tunneled (via 443), so TCX wouldn't work in such a setup. How do you get TCX to work for external clients? I'm asking because I'm running into this issue.

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also, have you figured out how to optimize TCX for your environment? I'm not entirely thrilled with the performence of the flash acceleration. Wondering if anyone has tweaked it to optimize this? How?

0 Kudos