VMware Cloud Community
ROE
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to import P2V with DPM enabled

I have a bit of a weird problem.

Our setup is 4 ESX4.1 hosts in a single DRS/HA cluster with Power Management set to Automatic, and 5 LUNs on two different SANs (shared amongst all 4 hosts with no problems).

After a while DPM kicks in and sets two of our hosts in standby mode, and everything seems fine.

But if I try to import a physical machine using the Converter: Inventory -> VMs and Templates -> Rightclick VM group -> Import Machine

After deploying the Converter agent, I'm supposed to enter the Virtual machine name, select a host to import to and a datastore.

If I select one of the 5 LUNs I get a "The ESX host managed by VMware vCenter Server is disconnected" error.

It doesn't make any difference which of the active hosts I select, which of the LUNs or what hardware level I choose.

The only way to import the machine is to select a local datastore.

If all four hosts are active, there is no problem importing machines to the LUNs.

DRS runs fine between the two active hosts as well as manual vMotion and Storage vMotion.

vCenter Service Status is all green.

Any ideas?

/Robert

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
radao
Contributor
Contributor

I've faced the same issue.

And the only solution was keeping auto-DPM off during the import process...even after starting the process if any node was "powered off" the import failed.

So workaround found...but we need a solution Smiley Wink

I don't remember facing this issue in older versions.

0 Kudos
ROE
Contributor
Contributor

This sucks. I've just noticed that with hosts in stand-by mode I'm unable to even browse my datastores.

We havent used DPM in earliere versions as it was marked Experimental.... guess it still is Smiley Wink

0 Kudos