VMware Cloud Community
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Impact of rebooting vCenter VM?

Hi All,

I have vCenter installed on a VM in my ESXi infrastruture. I have 3 physical hosts and accessing the VMs from 2x iSCSI SANs which all works great. I have 35 active VMs at present.

vCenter is installed on a 2003 Server VM running on one of the hosts, but I need to reboot it so I can move the pagefile to free up some space on C:. In my previous roles vCenter was always on a physical server, but here I've inherited it on a VM.

What precautions do I need to take when I reboot it, and/or what impact is there for rebooting just the VM for vCenter and nothing else?

Will all my other VMs continue to function while the vCenter VM reboots or will it bring everything down?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Andy

There will be no impact on the other VMs if you reboot you VCenter Smiley Wink

Just make sure there are no current VM Migrations (Vmotion/svMotion) ongoing

Regards

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Andy

There will be no impact on the other VMs if you reboot you VCenter Smiley Wink

Just make sure there are no current VM Migrations (Vmotion/svMotion) ongoing

Regards

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I did think that would be the case but wasn't sure if it was different with having it in a VM. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Anytime :smileycool:

Happy virtualizing and don't be shy with points Smiley Wink

AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, points awarded and marked as correct answer Smiley Happy