VMware Cloud Community
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Noticeable screen/mouse latency for 2008 R2 x64

Hi, just installed a fresh copy of 2008 R2 x64 on ESXi today, afterwards then installed vmware tools immediately, however I notice there is a noticeable screen/mouse latency over the console, even on a LAN environment. However as other VMs on the same ESXi host, those 2008 and older 2000, they just run perfect.

The console over WAN is even more worse, can't do any reasonable administration tasks at all, am I missing something here?

The host is running on a 4.0.0, 261974.

Thanks!

Skynet Corporation Limited
0 Kudos
12 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Did you adjust the hardware acceleration on the VM?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I don't get the meaning for hardware acceleration, do you mean CPU/MMU virtualization? this setting is currently set to automatic, which is the default.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, I don't get the meaning for hardware acceleration

He means screen lag with the console. We get the same thing.

you can't tell me NO ONE else gets this.. I have seen many other posts about the same thing, I don't know that there is a fix.. but this definitely a known issue.

Install Windows 2008, R2 or not, doesn't matter. Install the tools like he said. Use the VI Console to access that same VM.. and your mouse noticeable lags... it's like in slow motion. Yes we moved the hardware slider all the way to the right..

NOTHING has any affect. Remote Desktop is perfect, so it's NOT the VM.

Something with Windows 2008 in a console don't agree.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The console over WAN is even more worse, can't do any reasonable administration tasks at all, am I missing something here?

I don't think anyone has a fix for this. Use remote desktop, that's your only alternative.

Don't try to access the VM via the VI Console.. it gets progressively worse.

0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Found the solution, it's driver issue, after installing it, everything are now fine.

Troubleshooting SVGA drivers installed with VMware Tools on Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 running on ESX 4.0

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011709

WDDM and XPDM graphics driver support with ESX 4.0 Update 1, Workstation 7.0, and Fusion 3.0

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016770

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes I also face the same problem here, by the way, which one did you install for your 2k8 R2 VM on ESXi ?

is it this one: WDDM and XPDM graphics driver support with ESX 4.0 Update 1, Workstation 7.0, and Fusion 3.0

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016770

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I installed the WDDM driver, now there is no more latency for both LAN and WAN environment, we are running on a 4.0 U2

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

Why doesn't it install the better driver on 2008 r2 x64 by default?

The expected result of a vmware tools install is to accelerate the video, the default appears to not do so on 2008 r2 x64.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I have a fresh install of ESXi 4.1 and just created a brand new Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine. After installing the VMware Tools I noticed very slow mouse movement when using the Console. I found this thread and had a look at the installed drivers in Device Manager. Following the two KB articles listed above I installed the WDDM driver. Now the Console is usable if needed.

I found the following information very odd in the KB article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101677...

ESX 4.x

Windows guest operating systems on ESX 4.x

WDDM driver

requires HW v. 7

XPDM driver

requires minimum of HW v. 4

Windows 7

Supported and installed by default Not supported

Windows Server 2008 R2 *

Supported but not installed by default Not supported

Windows Server 2008

Supported but not installed by default

Installed by default

Windows Vista

Supported but not installed by default Installed by default

*Unless there is an explicit requirement for enhanced graphics, the preferred driver for Windows Server 2008 R2 is the Microsoft-provided VESA driver.

I don't understand how Microsoft's driver is preferred when the Console is completely unusable! It is not a matter of enhanced graphics, but enhanced performance allowing the Console in the vSphere Client to function properly. Perhaps someone from VMware can explain why VMware's video driver is not installed by default.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You need to also upgrade the mouse driver to that of the one provided by VMware Tools and you will no longer get a sluggish mouse in the console sessions.

0 Kudos
vmjellz
Contributor
Contributor

Here are step by step instructions + images to upgrade your Server 2008 video driver:

http://vm-pro.com/improve-vmware-console-mouse-experience-with-windows-server-2008/

Hope this helps. Cheers!

0 Kudos
Cyclops70
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried the above solution, but I see that the vmware tools have already configured the Vmware driver.I tried the above solution, but I see that the vmware tools have already configured the Vmware driver.

Cyclops70_0-1666260553934.png

Is correct?

I need to give 8 GB ram minimum?

Regards

0 Kudos