VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

ESXi 4.1 take long time to boot up

why does it seems like ESXi 4.1 take so long to load especially loading the qlx.... drivers

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi tdubb123

what is your server hardware, can you please be specific about your configuration.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

this is a dell r810, quad core xeon. lots of ram.

0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Booting from where ???

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

local hard disk

0 Kudos
techsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did u check in BIOS that virtualization was enabled or not?

Suresh

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

yes enabled

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

On the boot screen do you see that is actualy stuck at loading the Qlogic driver? Are you using those HBAs? You might want to check here for an update driver - http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vsphere_4/4#drivers_tools. Also during the boot process, press ALT+F12 to get to the VMkernel log. It might reveal something about the boot process. You can get to the file post install at /var/log/message and see if any particular portion of the boot process is slow.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Phokay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How long did it take to boot up the ESX server to the point where you can see the ESX screen showing you can connect to your IP address and also to the point where you can connect with your vSphere client?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

from the screen loading qlaxxx drivers. it was stuck there for approx 2 mins before moving on

0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think u have to open a ticket with vmware technical support if you have support contract with them, to get a sure shot solution in less time.

0 Kudos
AGsAnt
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get a resolution to your problem.  I ask because I am having the same issues with the Dell R810's that I have

0 Kudos
AGsAnt
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you ever got a resolution for your problem, but I had the same issue with Dell R810 servers that I was working on at a client site,  After a bit of looking around, I found the following KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101610...

There's links to resolutions for ESX 4.1 at the bottom of the page.  But there was a catch to what I had to do to get the resolution in EXi 4.1 Update 1.  The KB article says that the patches that came out in July 2011 would fix the problem (of which I had already installed), but I had to perform the work around steps for ESX 4.0 as well.

If you haven't already sorted this out, I hop this helps.

0 Kudos