VMware Cloud Community
manfriday
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lost a LUN on Compellent storage

Hi,

I am currently setting up a new ESXi 4.1 environment using Compellent FC storage.

Last Friday afternoon I had a bit of a scare, when we lost a lun and all the VM's that were on it.

A bit more background:

We are using vRanger Pro. I DID disable automounting, and all of the compellent LUNS are in READ-ONLY mode for the vRanger box's HBA's.

I can't see how the vRanger box could have mangled the signature on the LUN, but that is what appeared to happen.

I tried using fdisk commands to repair the LUN (I followed Mr.Eppings directions on the yellowbricks blog for this).

However, I got a message saying the LUN could not be communicated with. (something to that effect.. I forgot the exact message)

Anyway, I shut down ALL the ESXi hosts and booted them back up and the LUN was available an no data lost.

This is great news, but I still dont have an explanation as to WHY this happened in the first place.

And I will most certainly have some explaining to do on Monday morning.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas for where I can start? Obvisouly the logs will be a good place to look I suppose. IM just not even sure what to look for in the logs.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
binoche
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

please post all vmkernel logs /var/log/vmkernel*

binoche, VMware VCP, Cisco CCNA

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I would also involve Compellent support - they are excellent and can help your eliminate the SAN as an issue - because Compellent does not present LUNs in the classic sense - they use all spindles that might have caused the issue with the fdisk command -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos