2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2010 7:05 PM by weinstein5

Lost a LUN on Compellent storage

manfriday Hot Shot

Hi,

I am currently setting up a new ESXi 4.1 environment using Compellent FC storage.

Last Friday afternoon I had a bit of a scare, when we lost a lun and all the VM's that were on it.

A bit more background:

We are using vRanger Pro. I DID disable automounting, and all of the compellent LUNS are in READ-ONLY mode for the vRanger box's HBA's.

I can't see how the vRanger box could have mangled the signature on the LUN, but that is what appeared to happen.

I tried using fdisk commands to repair the LUN (I followed Mr.Eppings directions on the yellowbricks blog for this).

However, I got a message saying the LUN could not be communicated with. (something to that effect.. I forgot the exact message)

Anyway, I shut down ALL the ESXi hosts and booted them back up and the LUN was available an no data lost.

This is great news, but I still dont have an explanation as to WHY this happened in the first place.

And I will most certainly have some explaining to do on Monday morning.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas for where I can start? Obvisouly the logs will be a good place to look I suppose. IM just not even sure what to look for in the logs.