VMware Cloud Community
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

2 VM's not pinging out of 4

Hi

I have a HP Proliant DL385 G2 server that has ESX 3.5 U5 running and is hosting 4 VM on it. The issue is 2 out of those four VM's are pinging perfect and rest two are not.

All these 4 VM's have exactly same settings, not sure where is it going wrong.

Please can someone suggest?

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

Check the port group you have the VMNics connected too. Ensure they are on the same port group on the smae vswitch - also ensure they have the correct IP's. If they are using DHCP ensure they are getting an IP.

Secondly, are you trying to ping them from a physical machine?

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Take a look at the physical switch port. This looks like you are connected to a managed switch with port security enabled.

For Cisco you should set "switchport mode access" and "spanning-tree portfast".

Some Cisco of the switches come with a "macro description cisco-desktop" which limits the port to a minimum number of 2 MAC addresses allowed on the port.

André

chadwickking
Expert
Expert

You still having an issue? please keep us posted?

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks Guys,

I tried everything you suggested and finally I deleted the virtual NIC from the 2 VM's that were not pinging and re-added them. It worked fine! Wierd!

I guess it had something to do with MAC address that could have been corrupted on the VM adaptor which might be dropping packets on the 2 VM's.

It is really strange though!

Thanks again Andre' and Chad,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos