VMware Cloud Community
cwa1
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Converter does not list all source volumes

Hi,

I want to migrate one of our Exchange 2007 servers to a VMWare 4.1 host.

When the wizard is supossed to list all the source volumes on the physical server, it is only the C: drive (System) that is listed.

Two drives are missing in the list. (see attachment)

I have tested the Import function from the host and the standalone converter, both with the same result.

Further more, I have logged on the server as Domain Admin, Local administrator. The UAC is disabled and the firewall is off.

Anyone, seen this before or have any ideas?

Cheers

Claus

0 Kudos
18 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Communities,

did you already take a look at the Converter log files? Maybe they contain a hint what's going wrong.

André

0 Kudos
cwa1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

Thank you Smiley Happy

I have checked the logs and the only drive (and ID) listed is the C: Drive.

The log does not mention anything about other drives. Smiley Sad

All drives are connected to the same HP P410 (SAS) controller in a HP DL380 G6.

/Claus

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It sounds like you are trying to P2V your Exchange server? Dude, this is not a good idea. Converter leaves a lot of "junk" behind related to hardware (hdd, ports, etc). I P2V my CA once and took me a while to get it back, I had to manually remove a lot of "hardware" from the VM.

I would definetely recommend getting another server up with the same roles and then migrate your user mailboxes (if it is a MBX server). If it is a HT server then it is a lot easier. I can see how P2V sounds better than creating a new server but you have to think about th risks.

If you still decide to P2V the server, there is a KB/tool to help you clean your server after P2V.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Back to your main question. I am assuming that your DATA and LOGS drives are iSCSI connected LUNs?

If so, this would be the cause. You can easily disconnect the drives from the iSCSI initiator>P2V your server (C drive) and once a VM plug in your iSCSI drives again.

Hope this helps.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

0 Kudos
cwa1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dvdmorera,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, you are correct about the Exchange server (2007) and I completely agree with your suggestion, to install a new server and migrate the mailboxes.

But! So far I have migrated a couple of houndred servers, including exchange, sql, Sharepoint and so on and they all went well, meaning, that it is so much easier to migrate instead of new installations and mailbox move (and have to leave the old exchange server online, while my users outlook profiles are being updated).

Regarding your comment on the HW. No, I'm not using iSCSI. All discs are SAS discs on the same controller (HP P410).

/Claus

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you tried restart agent (vpxa and mgmt) of the host destination ?

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
cwa1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MauroBonder.

Thank for your suggestion.

I have restarted the entire (just now) and the problem is still there Smiley Sad

/Claus

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your Exchange running on Windows 2008 or R2? What version of converter are you using?

0 Kudos
cwa1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The Exchange server is running "Windows 2008 x64 Standard" with "Exchange 2007 SP2"

The host is version 4.1.0, 260247

The stand alone converter is version: 4.3.0 build-292238

/Claus

0 Kudos
ITCenta
Contributor
Contributor

Have 2x HP DL380 G5's, with smart array P400 in slot 1 (firmware ver 5.2) RAID config is two logical volumes C: drive on RAID 1+0, data drives on RAID 5. Have same problem both servers only see c: (system) drive on source. any solutions yet?. I am going to look at firmware update on RAID controller on both servers.

0 Kudos
cwa1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ITCentra,

Great - well, at least I'm not the only one...

My servers are currently in a remote site, and I'm not able to try the firmware update right now.

Looking forward to hear about your server after the update.

0 Kudos
cwa1
Contributor
Contributor

Solved the case my self.

Damn....so simple when you know the answer.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101699...

Wonder when the feature will be available in the converter.

0 Kudos
ITCenta
Contributor
Contributor

Nice work. thanks for the info.

I worked around by converting the machines via their backup images (Select source type: Backup image or third party virtual machine)... unfortunately the servers in question are sharepoint web front ends.. so now i only have to deal with all the bizare sharepoint breaks that virtualizing has caused! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know you found an answer but I thought I would share my expirence in hopes it will help someone down the line.

I had cloned a 2008 physical box with a local C: drive and a SAN based disk (for data drive).

No problems cloning it. Later on I needed to clone it again from the same physical server. This time no volumes showed up.

I had to use the local admin account in the credentials prompt (importing to a VM from vCenter). For some reason using my domain account (which has full admin rights to that server) did not work.

So, if you are importing via vCenter...worth trying the local admin account to perform a P2V.

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah, thanks Cyberfed27.

The local admin tip saved my day Smiley Happy

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
CWestwater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cyberfed27 - THANK YOU!  Saved my bacon here

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My pleasure! 

0 Kudos
steveprentice
Contributor
Contributor

Might be a bit late to reply here, but I just wanted to say thanks to Cyberfed27... I had exactly that problem, and using the local Administrator account worked a treat for me, saved me lots of grief seeing that post. 🙂

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos