VMware Cloud Community
raven70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resize and move host partition

Hi

I have a windows 2008 64 bit virtual machine with a virtual disk of 400GB, partitioned as disk C: 50GB and disk E: 350GB, both dynamic disk

I would like to expand C: to 100GB and shrink E: to 300GB . I already tryed to shrink E: with windows disk management and it works, but it free space on the right side of the partition scheme, so in order to expand C: I have to move E: .....this is the situation after shrink

CCC EEEEEE FFF where C is partition C: E partition E: F free space after shrink

I read on some post here that is possible using GParted. I tryed with Gparted 0.6.2 it see both disk as NTFS, but it give a warning :

The device /dev/sda3 doesn't exist

ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)

ERROR (2): Failed to check '/dev/sda3' mount state: No such file or directory

Probably /etc/mtab is missing. It's too risky to continue

You might try an another Linux distro.

Unable to read the contents of this file system!

Because of this some operations may be unavailable.

The following list of software package is required for ntfs file system support: ntfsprogs

And I can't do operation on these disks

Someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance

Raven

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
techsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

as far as i know you can resize your disks using p2v converter. you need to do v2v convertion using p2v converter then you can reduce and increase the disk size.

Good Luck

if you found this post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
techsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

as far as i know you can resize your disks using p2v converter. you need to do v2v convertion using p2v converter then you can reduce and increase the disk size.

Good Luck

if you found this post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Suresh

0 Kudos