VMware Cloud Community
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pre-freeze and post-thaw with vStorage API

Hello everyone, this is a simple informative question.

I made use of pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts with VCB because i have some non-VSS compliant application servers/database servers.

Now, since VMware is stressing out more and more that VCB is kept for backward compatibility only i expect that sooner or later we won't be able to use it anymore. My problem is that if i remember correctly those scripts are called by VMware Tools only if the snapshot is created by VCB and they don't work with other 3rd party software who make use of snapshots as well, they simply are not invoked.

For example i remember using VizionCore vRager Pro to backup those machines but they've always been only crash-consistent because those script are not invoked.

We are about to upgrade to vSphere (running 3.5 Update 4 right now) and i was wondering if there is a way to simply run a script to stop a service before snapshot and starting right after the snapshot if i use a software that interacts with vStorage API instead of using VCB; we would like to drop VCB for good but i need those services to be down only for the time of the snapshot.

Anyway willing to clarify this for me will be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies