VMware Cloud Community
rManic
Expert
Expert

VMDirect Path FC attached Tape Library

Hi all

I need a major help

Is it possible to use VMDirect path to connect the fibre attached tape library to Virtual Machine to use VM as a backup server.

Regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
8 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

To use VMDirectPath you will need to attach the HBA to the VM, and present the tape to the HBA. I would try attaching the tape to the HBA and presenting it as an RDM device to the VM.

Check this doc:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016407

Take a special attention on the point saying that multi-lun devices are not supported. You will save a lot of time not trying to add this kind device to ESX Servers.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
rManic
Expert
Expert

I have configured FC HBA as VMDirect path to a VM.The tape library is IBM TS 3200 connect through a SAN

switch and OS:Windows 2008 R2

Backup software is Symantec Netbackup 7.0.

If any one already tried to connect fibre attached Tape library to VM.Please share your experiance.

I am planing to go with VM as media server instead of physical server.

your valuable inputs are appriciated.

Regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert

Dear all

Please share your experiance and thoughts

Regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert

Any luck

Regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert

Dear Moderators of VMware community

I am not happy with the response in the community

So what is your suggestion for my next step?

Regards

Manick

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert

I have ESX servers with 48 GB RAM and 2quard core nehlam processor.

with 10 gbps network card

our backup experts are advising me to not go with VM.

Regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I would also suggest that you do not use a VM as your backup server, mostly because Backups servers needs restarts with Library problems, then you need to restart the Whole ESX Box. Other reason is that I could not get it to work 🙂

I do however use VMs as Media servers to do large VM backups straight to tape.

My Experience:

I set up a Backup server on a VM using HP Dataprotector.

What i found was that the VM does not communicate with the Robotics all that well.

I could do a backup, but when it finished, the command that the tape was put back into the Library slot never came back to the VM, so the backup fails.

What i did manage to do is make File servers Media servers only. So I present the "Tape drives only" to the ESX box (which needs a reboot) and then assign the 4+ tape drives to the File Server VM as SCSI devices. (this makes the VM fixed to the ESX host)

So the Robotics are controlled by a Physical server, but the VM can backup straight to tape.

This works like a charm and the backup speed is x5 quicker than backing up over the network.

This do however have its con's like VMotion and HA will not work, In a HA scenario, you will need to remove the SCSI Tape Libraries before the VM will start

Regards

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

so guys

what is your final recommendation going physical or virtual with products like Data protection manager and Tivoli Storage Manager?

well customer usually want virtual that's why they buy Vmware and when you say that Backup to Tape solutions like above will not work as expected on virtual because ...... they really don't like that and they expect this to work on virtual

any more thoughts or experiences?

0 Kudos