VMware Cloud Community
kuay5
Contributor
Contributor

Mixing Quad-Core and 6-Core CPUs

Hi All,

We run our ESXs on a HP C3000 enclosure. All our Blades are BL460c (G1 and G6). They all use the same processor (E5450). No issues.

But now we have purchased a G6 Blade that is running a 6 core CPU (X6560).

I think these 2 CPUs have different features right? Does that mean i need to turn on EVC? Will i lose cores if i turn on EVC? And do i really need to turn on EVC or i can play around with the maskings?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

>I think these 2 CPUs have different features right? Does that mean i need to turn on EVC?

Yes.

>Will i lose cores if i turn on EVC?

No.

>And do i really need to turn on EVC or i can play around with the maskings?

EVC is masking. It just lifts weight of manual masking configuration for each VM from your shoulders.

---

MCITP: SA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A better answer than that you won't get :smileycool:

You could test a VMotion between these 2 servers, the compatibility test will tell you straight away if EVC is needed.

I have not tested you scenario as yet, but my guess is EVC will be needed as Anton said.

Regards

Please award points if this was helpful

0 Kudos
The_eternal_lea
Contributor
Contributor

I am a bit of a novice as I am not "hands on" just involved in concepts!

I was pleased to read above that you can mix Quad and six-core CPUs in a single farm using EVC. But I guess this means that six core CPU throtles down to act as quad core?

In this scenario the environment already has a mix of E5345 & E5450 CPUs in BL460 blades and are looking to add another 4 x blades.

Thanks and Regards Shorne

0 Kudos
cebomholt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, you shouldn't lose cores. EVC only masks processor features, not cores. See for details

0 Kudos
The_eternal_lea
Contributor
Contributor

I am a bit of a novice as I am not "hands on" just involved in concepts!

I was pleased to read above that you can mix Quad and six-core CPUs in a single farm using EVC. But I guess this means that six core CPU throtles down to act as quad core?

In this scenario the environment already has a mix of E5345 & E5450 CPUs in BL460 blades and are looking to add another 4 x blades.

Thanks and Regards Shorne

0 Kudos
The_eternal_lea
Contributor
Contributor

Tx for the confirmation! (double posting due to network issues!).

0 Kudos