VMware Cloud Community
BobD01
Contributor
Contributor

Host Profile Changes Service Console port!

Hi all,

I built an ESXi 4.0 host with 1 vSwitch and 2 port groups - vmk0 = Service Console (management), vmk1 = vMotion - all works just fine.

I now build another one exactly the same.

Now I create a host profile from the first host and apply it to the 2nd host - now the vMotion port group has switched to vmk0 and the service console is vmk1. I'm not fussed about numbers but if you now take a look at the console the management IP is now the vMotion IP address! All still works fine unless you ever go to change the Management IP from the console!!

I can repeat this behavour every time - any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advnace

Bob

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hharold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bob,

Did you ever solve this one?

We are facing the same issue, and I would really like to have this changed, and fix vmk0 to the management portgroup.

Regards,

Harold

0 Kudos
BobD01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

VMware have said this will be fixed in ver 5. For now I create the port groups manually so the profile does nothing to vSwitch0. It's the only workaround I can thnk of!

Cheers

Bob

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think VMware's answer is unacceptable given the severity and nature of this issue. I raised an SR and they came back with the same "its fixed in the next major release". So what do customers with large ESX(i) deployments do in the meantime? I have pushed this to be escalated and getting my TAM involved too.

0 Kudos
BobD01
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, it also has another affect... if you leave it like this when you enable HA you might find that the HOSTS files have been updated withh the vmotion IP addresses!

0 Kudos
mjamal
Contributor
Contributor

to add to it, it has same vmk swapping behaviour on ESXi version 4.1 after applying hostprofiles.

Mo

Mo
0 Kudos