1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 6:35 AM by gkho978

DISCONTINUED (VMware Studio: Feature requests / User wish list)

Jogarem Enthusiast

DISCONTINUED
      NO UPDATES WILL BE DONE TO THIS POST ANYMORE!
      I HAVE NOT THE TIME ANYMORE TO DO SO.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I start this thread to catch all the needed features we want for a new VMware Studio version

VMware Studio is a great tool and becomes better and better and I think it is important to

give feedback to the developers..

Current wishes for the next version ( after  v2.6 ) are:

(this thread post will be updated when new FRs coming in)

P1 = highest priority --> "very important"

P4 = lowest priority --> "nice to have"

P1 (order inside this group is random)

P2 (order inside this group is random)

P3 (order inside this group is random)

P4 (order inside this group is random)

• FR #003 => inux: prevent cloning / copying of a VM (more or less license issue to avoid misusing a commercial appliance)

• FR #005 => linux: support for a separate /var partition within build process

• FR #001 => editing the 'starting point' of an existing profile in the Web GUI

Feel free to add your ideas to this thread or

send them to me by PM

(I will update this post when new FRs/wishes arrive)

Regards

Thomas

|

|

|

|

--- changes to this thread post ---

2013-04-03: discontinue message

2012-10-15: moved up FR#030 to P1, moved down FR#001, FR#003, FR#005 to P4 and FR#015 to P3 and FR#007 to solved

2012-08-20: added FR#032 and FR#033

2012-06-20: moved solved issues to bottom, added FR #029, #030 and #031

2011-02-21: added FR #028

2011-02-14: added FR #027

2011-02-10: changed some text info

2011-01-21: changed priority of  FR #023, added new links to FR #024, FR #010,  FR #011

2011-01-20: added FR #023,  FR #024,  FR #025,  FR #026

2010-10-31: changed thread

2010-09-28: added FR #022, added new link to FR #020

2010-09-21: added FR #021

2010-09-17: added FR #020, changed FR #011 prio

2010-09-08: added FR #019

2010-09-06: added FR #018

2010-08-27: added FR #017, FR #016

2010-08-20: added FR #015, added FR #014

2010-08-19: added FR #013

2010-08-18: added FR #012, added FR #011, added FR #010, rejected FR #007

2010-08-17: added priorities for all wishes, added FR numbering for better overview/communication, added FR #004, added FR #009

--- solved issues ---

• 1. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
            provision Hot Shot
            VMware Employees

Thnx Thomas for the feedback and starting this thread! The capability to set hostname through the VAMI web interface is available in 2.1. Notes taken for the rest.

When posting your wish list, adding a priority level for each item is also helpful.

• 2. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
              Jogarem Enthusiast

The capability to set hostname through the VAMI web interface

yes that's fine but not for the console (or is that sfcb?)

adding a priority level for each item

Good point I will do that

• 3. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
                provision Hot Shot
                VMware Employees

Were you referring to the Blue Login Screen on the vm console? That too also allows hostname setting when choosing to configure static IP address under Configure Network. Setting hostname for DHCP is not a supported use case.

• 4. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
                  Jogarem Enthusiast

oh ok I didn't see that. thanks!

• 5. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
                    Jogarem Enthusiast

Don't be shy send me your ideas and wishes for a new VMStudio version!

• 6. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
                      Jogarem Enthusiast

Naming of instance IDs:

At the moment only 11 characters are used to name an instance. So when you have multiple appliance profiles which all begin with the same name the instance ids are all the same.

Examples:

"myAppliance" results in instance id name: "myAppliance.1"

"myApplianceUbuntu" results in instance id name: "myAppliance.1"

"myApplianceRedhat" results in instance id name: "myAppliance.1"

I know that there must be a limit of the amount of characters but I believe that 11 is too small for that.

In my opinion you should have 20 characters for an instance name. More is not needed or could be handled otherwise.

---

added as FR #018

• 7. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
                        provision Hot Shot
                        VMware Employees

Thnx for the feedback! The current instance chars length was picked mainly based on the visibility factor in the Studio gui. The alternative is to use the -i option for studiocli if there is actual need for longer build instance id. The issue that you described is well understood.

• 8. Re: VMware Studio: Feature requests
                          Jogarem Enthusiast

Enable Multicore CPU Support in VMware Studio.

The build can not profite from multiple CPUs at the moment. So even when you have 2 or 4 or more CPUs this will not result

in faster builds.

Needed at most:

• ovftool (100% CPU usage when exporting to provisioning server but only at 1 CPU the other CPUs are more or less idle)

I believe that the best/only(?) way would be to use 64bit Operating System for Studio and so use 64bit version of the above tools?!

---

added as FR # 019

• 9. Re: VMware Studio v2.2(?): Feature requests / User wish list
                            DCROOKE Novice

I'd like to see the ability to use an OVF as the starting image instead of limting it to specific vendor ISOs. That way, people could use VMs that they have manually tweaked, and also newer versions.

• 10. Re: VMware Studio v2.2(?): Feature requests / User wish list
                              Jogarem Enthusiast

Hi dcrooke,

did you see the chapter "Build From an Existing VM" in Studio Developer Guide (http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/studio/studio21/studio_developer.pdf) starting on page 103?

That is not what you mean? If not could you explain it a little more, please?

Regards

Thomas

• 11. Re: VMware Studio v2.2(?): Feature requests / User wish list
                                DCROOKE Novice

I haven't tried it, but AFAICT that only works for OS'es that are supported. At first, I thought the same thing, but check the following small print near the top of the page: "You can use any successful Linux VM build to ...."  which gives this fact away.

If it did in fact have a way to let you use a pre-installed Linux VM as a build starting point instead of a specifically supported installer ISO, I suspect this would be noted prominently after the specific list of supported distributions on P 34 - it seems implausible that they would have made this highly useful enhancement and buried it in an appendix.

I am building an appliance that's going to be used mostly by Windows guys, so I'd prefer to use Ubuntu because it's a known brand, easier to package for, and has much better support for 3rd party open source stuff. However, the only Ubuntu versions supported by Studio are pretty old, and (ii) 32-bit .... Red Hat is not redistributable as it contains proprietary stuff, and you don't get OS updates without a contract, so the choice is between DIY without Studio, and using the relatively unknown CentOS. 

Before you suggest it, someone in another thread already tried adapting Studio to Ubuntu 10.04 using the studiocli --newos method, but reported that paths to certain stuff on the ISO are hardcoded in the Studio binaries, and these files have moved in the newer versions.

All I was really looking for is the VAMI config stuff - is there a way to pull those pieces out of studio and install them into a standalone VM?

• 12. Re: VMware Studio v2.2(?): Feature requests / User wish list
                                  Jogarem Enthusiast

I haven't tried it

I haven't tried it, too I have only read that guide regarding this. But I understand it this way that when the VMware provisioning agent is installed (that's the requirement or footprint you have) you can install whatever you want. But maybe I have miss here something because I haven't test or looked deep into this yet.

the only Ubuntu versions supported by Studio are pretty old

That's maybe true but it depends. Ubuntu 8.04 is a LTS release so it is for sure needed to be supported within Studio. Support for 10.04 is a needed feature of course but I hope is planned to be possible to use in the next Studio version. Studio 2.1 was released in July so it had be possible to integrate 10.04 support (based on Alpha version of 10.04 e.g.) but I can understand that they wanted to wait for the final release. I believe that 10.04 will be supported by the next version.

and (ii) 32-bit

Yes but normally an 64bit system is not really needed or will not have the effort the user think of. Of course there are special applications or RAM restrictions where you need to use a 64bit system (I have such software which would really profite from a 64bit system) but in most cases you can handle it without loss of performance etc with a 32bit system, too.

Because there ARE such requirements see above FR #011 (Support for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - 64bit)

Before you suggest it, someone in another thread already tried adapting Studio to Ubuntu 10.04 using the studiocli --newos

method, but reported that paths to certain stuff on the ISO are hardcoded in the Studio binaries, and these files have moved in the newer version

That's what I would have asked you next. Ok the hardcoded stuff thing is new to me but I have never used / needed the newos command so I'm sorry that I cannot help you with that.

All I was really looking for is the VAMI config stuff - is there a way to pull those pieces out of studio and install them into a standalone VM?

I don't know if this is what you meant but you could give "/opt/vmware/lib/build/include/deb/" a try

• 13. Re: VMware Studio v2.2(?): Feature requests / User wish list
                                    DCROOKE Novice

Studio "hands-on" manages a full install of the OS onto a blank VM for each build, using its respective unattended install tools, which is why it only supports certain specific builds of each distribution. I'd prefer if it had an option to simply install its toolkit (VAMI etc) onto a VM image with the OS already installed prepared by the developer, but then any OS distribution for which it has a compatible build of its tools could be used.

I don't agree with your point about 32-bit being adequate .... 32-bit is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, and these days a 3.5GB memory limit is too restrictive for many things - RAM is the way to make most enterprise apps faster. I would recommend flipping the priority and making Ubuntu 10.04 x64 higher than the 32-bit version. Note that many OS vendors have dropped 32-bit support entirely from their server versions ... Ubuntu 10.04 server only ships as 64-bit, and the same is true of Windows 2008 R2.

It's not always a constructive solution to simply quote pieces of the documentation to people - some folks are a bit lazy and will give up and post a help request in a forum after trying something for a few minutes, but packaging VM's is pretty technical and I would hope that most of the people posting questions in this forum have not only read the docs, but also tried some of the more obvious workarounds - the downside to that is that there are no simple answers to most questions posted here

For now, I'm looking into packaging on Centos 5.4 x64, which means repacking my app as an RPM and moving a few config files around.

• 14. Re: VMware Studio v2.2(?): Feature requests / User wish list
                                      Jogarem Enthusiast

32-bit is rapidly becoming a thing of the past

true but not at the moment I believe that the most people out there don't use the advantages of a 64bit system - so if you know about the details and you have the choice you will not use 64bit until you need to. You have also disadvantages when using 64bit in some cases especially when you don't benefit from 64bit architecture.

BUT: I'm with you when you say that a 64bit version is needed because there ARE requirements for 64bit versions.

Ubuntu 10.04 server only ships as 64-bit

Nope

http://www.ubuntu.com/server/get-ubuntu/download

(or simply: http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-10.04.1-server-i386.iso)

I would recommend flipping the priority and making Ubuntu 10.04 x64 higher than the 32-bit version

I will make them both the same prio so everyone is happy

It's not always a constructive solution to simply quote pieces of the documentation to people

True but it is better than you get no answer isn't it? The reason for my answer is that often there are ways described in the guides and users - not you - don't read the guides before they post a question. It is better to open a own topic with your problem than to post it here in the feature request topic because it will be not read so much (maybe) from helping people..

I would hope that most of the people posting questions in this forum have not only read the docs

True but I believe that this is a small active community. The main reason for me is that unfortunately VMware do not really promote VMware Studio atm...

I have added your FR - which is mainly a bug report for "studiocli --newos" - as FR #020 to Prio 2. Is that OK for you or do you prefer a higher prio for that?

1 2 3 4 Previous Next