VMware Cloud Community
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All VMs died

Hi, I've discovered today that all the VMs on my ESXi 4 has been stopped. Are there any logs I can check to see what happened? The 4 VMs are all CentOS 5.5 64-bit and are very lightly loaded (ie TOP shows 0.1 for loading). There are no over committ of CPU or memory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can... How you do it depends on your configuration... Such as if you're using vCenter or not. If not, then connect to the host, go to the "Configuration" tab, under the "Software" listing, select "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown" item and then click on the 'Properties' link (upper right corner of that window)... That's where you can select which VM's power on with the host, what order they power on, or if they set to 'Manual Startup' when the host powers on.

If you do the settings on the host, vCenter will pull those settings into it's configuration... I would suggest testing to confirm that the automatic startup settings stick when you vMotion a VM to another host (if you have more than one host) or not.

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To check the virtual machine logs use /vmfs/volumes/datastore/VM/vmware.log and where vmware.log file is the latest. If there were some storage or network related issues you would find error in /var/log/vmkernel.log and /var/log/vmware/hostd.log. It would be a good idea to also check /var/log/vmkwarning.log and /var/log/messages.log

Hope this information helps Smiley Happy

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3,VCP4,HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Apparently there was a power failure. Is there a way to set the VMs to auto restart if there's such a case?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can... How you do it depends on your configuration... Such as if you're using vCenter or not. If not, then connect to the host, go to the "Configuration" tab, under the "Software" listing, select "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown" item and then click on the 'Properties' link (upper right corner of that window)... That's where you can select which VM's power on with the host, what order they power on, or if they set to 'Manual Startup' when the host powers on.

If you do the settings on the host, vCenter will pull those settings into it's configuration... I would suggest testing to confirm that the automatic startup settings stick when you vMotion a VM to another host (if you have more than one host) or not.

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos