VMware Cloud Community
Randis
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing Reporting Manager (vCenter 4.1) database integrity failed.

Hello everybody,

after upgrading (migrate to 64bit OS) the vCenter Server in our test environment to 4.1 we are checking the vCenter Service Status.

There was an error on the "Lincensing Accounting Module health monitor" service that means that no license information are stored in the database.

This error could be solved by adding the database procedure (process_license_snapshot_proc) which was not present after the upgrade.

After that we run the procedure manually and after some moment we could see the current licenses but downloading the report faild with the following error.

"Cannot export license usage. License data integrity problem detected in the database of %vcenter%"

In the Datacenter Admin guide could be found the following informations.

Cause

The license usage data stored in the database has been modified. Modifying license records in vCenter Server

database is not recommended.

Solution

None. You can no longer download licensing reports for this vCenter Server or Linked Mode group with this

time period.

Is there really no solution to solve this error?

We don't modify any data in the database.

MfG

Randis

0 Kudos
24 Replies
ABoeff
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here ... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Randis
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody have any hints to solve this issue?

0 Kudos
pmitrov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Randis,

I have a few questions on the exact scenario so that I can figure out what might have gone wrong:

- which vCenter Server version (and update) have you upgraded?

- what is your database server and version - is it MSSQL Express or something else?

- have you just installed the process_license_snapshot_proc procedure or have you also executed it after installing?

- could you please take a look if there are any exceptions in tomcat logs located in %ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\logs? Exceptions with more details on the problem may be logged when you try to download the report.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
pmitrov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi ABoeff,

Have you followed the same steps described by Randis or are you experiencing the problem with a clean installation/upgrade (when the process_license_snapshot_proc procedure is successfully installed by the installer)?

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Randis
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am not at the office for the next 3 weeks, therefor i can't look at any logs.

we have updated from 4.0U2. The database is on a SQL 2005 Std (32Bit) with SP2 or SP3.

Yes, i executed the process_license_snapshot_proc from the management studio.

Best regards,

Randis

0 Kudos
gtamilan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I’m facing the same issue,

do you have any solutions to resolve this one

Thanks in advance

gtamilan
0 Kudos
Randis
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

no, we don't have found a solution for this issue.

We start to rebuild the structure with an clean database.

regards

Randis

0 Kudos
georgieva
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, gtamilan

Have you managed to upgrade your vCenter Database using vCenter Upgrade Manager smoothly?

It is possible to experience this issue as a result of upgrade if SQL Server Data Source used to connect to database was created using a non-US English localized installation.

You can find the workaround described in following KB article - Installing or upgrading to vCenter Server 4.1 fails on a non-US English MSSQL with the error: ODBC e...

Kind regards,

Elena

0 Kudos
georgieva
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Randis

I have a question in addition to ones Peter posted earlier. Did your upgrade process with vCenter Upgrade Manager passed successfully?

It is possible to face this integrity problems with Licensing Reporting Manager as a result of incomplete upgrade of vCenter Database. That may happen if SQL Server Data Source used to connect to database was created using a non-US English localized installation.

There is a KB article describing the workaround of this upgrade issue. You can find the link in my previous post in response to gtamilan.

Best regards,

Elena

0 Kudos
gtamilan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Elena

Thanks for you update

actually we reinstalled the vCenter with a clean DB to resolv this issue

for info while reinstalling vCenter i got an error popup (ODBC error) &

corrected this by changing the language to france in DSN configuration

gtamilan

gtamilan
0 Kudos
senseipetz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even VMware Support doesn't know how to solve this kind of issue. It seems to be related if the SQL DB is coming or was something else but not english. Even if i say ok, who cares about the past, i want to use this in the future, nothing happens, even if i kill every information about keys, the VC seems to know from somewhere where to look.. Why hashing the key statistics when to catch up the keys is more easier.. Why this play as cats and dogs.. i have used the KB, nothing, have deleted all stored procedures, but nothing, have deleted all VPX_LIC* Tables, nothing, have deleted the VPX_BINARY_DATA, but again NOTHING... Is somebody from the VMware Development here, to tell us what to do.. ?`Or should we die alone in our pain.. ?

0 Kudos
georgieva
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, senseipetz

Is table VPX_LIC_METADATA empty in your setup?

Try to reinitialize data in VPX_LIC_METADATA table with following statement:

INSERT INTO VPX_LIC_METADATA

(LAST_SAMPLE_ID,

LAST_SAMPLE_TIMESTAMP,

RETAINED_SAMPLE_ID,

RETAINED_SAMPLE_TIMESTAMP,

GLOBAL_DIGEST,

IS_STATE_VALID,

WEEK_KEEP_COUNT)

VALUES

(0, CONVERT(datetime, '1900-12-31 00:00:00', 120), 0, CONVERT(datetime, '1900-12-31 00:00:00', 120), NULL, 1, 208);

Regards,

Elena

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem and support don't resolve it...

0 Kudos
gtamilan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello lancevo7

All you will have to do is changer the ODBC settings from French or

someother language to English

Deselect Use regional settings when outputting currency, numbers, dates and times.

Deselect Perform translation for character data.

For more info see the KB

Hope this helps

gtamilan

gtamilan
0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

Is not OK,

I have :

-French windows 2008 R2

-French SQL 2008

-In ODBC I deselect Use regional settings when outputting currency, numbers, dates and times (it was already deselect) and Perform translation for character data

Or if is full french, I must be select all ???

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

EDIT :

I change the langage of my user SQL to English,

when i tried this in SQL server

INSERT INTO VPX_LIC_METADATA(LAST_SAMPLE_ID, LAST_SAMPLE_TIMESTAMP, RETAINED_SAMPLE_ID, RETAINED_SAMPLE_TIMESTAMP, GLOBAL_DIGEST, IS_STATE_VALID, WEEK_KEEP_COUNT) VALUES(0, '1900-12-31 00:00:00', 0, '1900-12-31 00:00:00', NULL, 1, 208)

now it's ok !

but o have always error in vcenter

In log i see this :

Failed to add LDAP entry cn=*********************,ou=Licenses,ou=Licensing,dc=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int: 0x44 (The object already exists.)

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is related to the ADAM database that Vmware are using

Seb

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

I have this in the ADAM database

(attached file)