VMware Horizon Community
Iwan_Rahabok
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Windows 7 Ultimate vs Professional: richer remote desktop

Hi,

This page from microsoft.com states that only the Ultimate edition has the “Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) enhancements”.

It said that “Windows 7 Ultimate is not licensed for VDI scenarios, but these features may be used to create a richer remote desktop experience when connecting to a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate.

What is this “richer experience” on remote desktop? No, it is not AppLocker, BranchCache, Direct Boot from VHD and DirectAccess.

Many thanks from Singapore

e1
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Im assuming this...

Most RDP 7.0 features like Aero glass remoting, bidirectional audio, Windows Media Player redirection, true multiple monitor support, Remote Desktop Easy Print are only available in Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate editions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Im assuming this...

Most RDP 7.0 features like Aero glass remoting, bidirectional audio, Windows Media Player redirection, true multiple monitor support, Remote Desktop Easy Print are only available in Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate editions.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is this “richer experience” on remote desktop? No, it is not AppLocker, BranchCache, Direct Boot from VHD and DirectAccess

Ever heard the term "marketing"? Microsoft needs some way to add value to the higher priced licenses. Someone needs to justify why they need Ultimate over Professional.

0 Kudos
ciconiae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Chris has it right, it's the Aero Glass and Windows Media Player redirection type features that are a "richer remote desktop experience." You only need Professional to get the better multimedia stuff which more has to do with only three editions support Remote Desktop into the computer. Also, the only difference between Ultimate and Enterprise is licensing. Ultimate is for home users and Enterprise is only sold in volume licensing for businesses. I looked at both editions for a VDI pilot project. I could not find any difference between the two and ended up using Professional as the licensing was easier for me at the time. The new RDP features work rather well if you are coming from a Win7 computer to a Win7 VM.

Iwan_Rahabok
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Dear all, many thanks for the super prompt answer. I learned that Enteprise edition is what I need. Much appreciated.

Cheers!

e1

-

Below is just sharing back of what I found:

I followed the wikipedia article. The article states that "Most RDP 7.0 features like Aero glass remoting, bidirectional audio,

Windows Media Player redirection, true multiple monitor support, Remote Desktop Easy Print are only available in Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate editions". This statement then points to 2 links to support it:

But none of the 2 articles above actually back up the above wikipedia statement. So I'm not sure how wikipedia concludes that

However, there is a comment in one of the articles, from user Tong Wynn MSFT, who said that "Aero glass remoting is supported on the remote desktop host if it is Windows 7 Client Ultimate or Enterprise edition, or Windows 2008 Server R2 Standard, Enterprise or DataCenter edition". There is no more info on the user so I can't conclude whether he officially speaks for Microsoft.

Update:

This site has more info:

It states that "Improved user experience for VDI with multimon

and microphone support, which have the ability to reuse virtual hard

drive (VHD) images to boot a physical PC." So multi-monitor and microphone are the improved user experienced. It does not say Aero.

e1
0 Kudos
WinOutreach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Aero support in a Remote Desktop Session is only available if the host of the session is Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate or Server 2008 R2 with Remote Desktop Session Host. A highly detailed blog on the subject is available at the http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/06/23/aero-glass-remoting-in-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Brandon

Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro