2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2010 2:54 AM by Theike RSS

Thinapp + virtualized windows hosts file ??

pman626 Lurker

I'm new to thinapp.

How do you make a thinapp'd web browser obey a virtualized hosts file? (located in the %SystemSystem%\drivers\etc folder)

a normally installed browser will obey Windows' hosts file, such that if you blacklist ip addresses in the hosts file, the browser will not properly load those websites.

However, a thinapp'd browser does not obey the embedded hosts file (in %SystemSystem%\drivers\etc folder).

It will instead follow the host computer's blank hosts file (in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc), so previously blacklisted ip addresses are no longer seen as blacklisted by the virtualized app.

Isn't thinapp like a tiny operating system, such that the virtualized application will look in the embedded %systemsystem% folder first?

Is this a folder isolation problem?

How do I force the browser to look at %SystemSystem%\drivers\etc\hosts instead of the computer's c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts?

I'm not looking for alternatives. I want it to work exactly like I discuss above. Is it possible?

• 1. Re: Thinapp + virtualized windows hosts file ??
          Theike Hot Shot

ThinApp does not support network interface virtualisation. The entire network interface is still handled by the native OS. This includes firewalls, ip addresses and DNS lookups.

So unfortunatly at the moment there is no way to do this. (Sorry, it is one of the features i would like to see as well)

Kind regards,

Michael Baars

(Remember to mark the post answered and reward points to those who helped you...)

• 2. Re: Thinapp + virtualized windows hosts file ??

Theike is right. The problem is that all host name lookups (even those referencing the hosts file) in Windows are done via the "DNS Client" service, which runs outside the virtual environment. Since the DNS Client service doesn't see your virtual hosts file, it gets ignored.