VMware Cloud Community
michael074
Contributor
Contributor

Deduplicated size - and no more space in destination

Hi,

in VDR 1.2 it's now possible to view a few more details about the backup destinations.

I have the following values on one of my destinations:

Capacity: 251 GB

Deduplicated size: 165 GB

Non-Deduplicated size: 32,7 TB

I have a question and a problem regarding this destination:

Question: Am I correct in assuming that Deduplicated size is the actual usage of the capacity of destination? In my situation I would assume I have 86 GB space left in my destination.

Problem: My backups are not completing at the moment, as the state either that the disk is full, or that it needs an additional 32 K space to complete (Not enough disk space for selected files (short by about 32 K).).

I have removed (markeds for delete) all restore points for 4 VM's and run a complete integrity check, but still the backups fail.

I did notice an anormaly in the verbose logs during reclaiming:

ChunkDedupe: Caught DedupeException: Init (DELETE): Fetch failed or is not a transaction node, error -101, (API error: -101 )

As a sidenote I have no more space on the destination file, 0 B reported free under configuration/destinations, and I have no way of extending the destination (VMFS limitation).

I know that 0 B free does not have to indicate that there's no more space inside the destination, as older restore points should be removed as needed, thereby releasing internal space in the destination.

Best regards,

Michael Pultz-Hansen

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DirkSchultze
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue - how did you solve this problem?

regards

Dirk Schultze

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Allow me to kindly bump this thread in order to receive a clarification on the metrics in the destinations view:

- "Free" space reported on the top for each destination disk

- deduplicated size

- non-deduplicated size

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
DirkSchultze
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

In the meantime I could solve this issue myself by following KB Article #1027607

regards

Dirk Schultze

0 Kudos
parkut
Contributor
Contributor

Might this KB article help?

VMware Data Recovery (VDR) fails to run backups even after a reclaim

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102760...

0 Kudos