VMware Communities
Dr_Gary
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creating .VHD Files in Guest...

I am having an issue creating or using Microsoft .VHD files in a Windows 7 x64 guest running on Fusion 3.1.

If I go into the Disk Management MMC in the Windows 7 x64 guest and try to create or attach to a .VHD file I receive "A virtual disk support provider for the specified file was not found"...

Any ideas? I want to create a virtual disk (.VHD) for a employee who runs Windows 7 on a physical machine...and thus needs the VHD format.

Thanks...

GKG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When creating or attaching the VHD, where is the VHD being saved to/located?

0 Kudos
Dr_Gary
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried it to both a shared folder (so, on the mac) and to the local virtual disk...neither works...

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It will never create/attach over shared folders (Windows 7 must recognize the filesystem holding VHD as NTFS or maybe FAT32). As for why it's not working local... Research time!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I tried creating a VHD in two separate copies of Win7-x64 and both worked fine. I created the VHD on the desktop and Disk Mgmt MMC created and mounted the VHD for formatting. I then disconnected the VHD and deleted it. In both virtual machines, Windows 7 x64 had to install a VHD provider for the operation to complete (I heard the device add musical string note).

So I know VHD creation is not impaired by Fusion 3.1 itself so you need to troubleshoot Windows (as usual).

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

No offense but that KB is for Windows Server. Although 2008 R2 and Win7 are related OS's the "Applies to" section is generally accurate as whether the information applies to Win7. In this case, it does not. My out of the box Win7 x64 settings allowed for creation of VHDs so the OP's issue is probably something else.

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Technology wise, they are the same operating system. It can't hurt to try, nor does it hurt to look at the related articles on that page.

0 Kudos