VMware Horizon Community
saschad
Contributor
Contributor

PCOIP and photoshop

We are doing some testing with View 4 using Wyse P20 thin clients with PCOIP.

However we are running into glitches running Photoshop under it and not sure if anyone else has seen this or if there is a way to resolve. Photoshop CS4 and CS5 cause issues with using certain tools at which point the CPU seems to max out temporarily. Eventually when working in Photoshop for an extended period of time the view session simply disconnects. The time interval seems random and its not always the same tool that causes the issue.

If photoshop is not used it the session does not drop.

Config:

Vmware View 4 Update 1

ESX 4U1

VM: XP SP3, 2GB RAM, 1 CORE, video settings set to AUTO, VMXNET 3 network adaptor, all other settings set to default.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Try to give the vDesktop another vCPU and raise the pcoip-process one step to "above normal" in priority.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
saschad
Contributor
Contributor

I've added the second vCPU but i dont see a PCOIP process to be able to raise priority on, also how would you make that priority permanent since it would probably reset itself when the vm is reset.

0 Kudos
bettis
Contributor
Contributor

I installed Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium, which includes Photoshop. Have been testing with one user.

The software is installed non-persistent and in the base image. The windows XP VM has 2GB of ram and the video is set at 128MB and 2 processors

Photoshop open just fine. The issue I am having is when using the eraser tool. click a couple times to adjust the size of the eraser, the screen locks up.

Using a Wyse P20 with 3.1.1, and tried the view client, same locking up.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does it lock up when you run the application through the vSphere Client

Console?

Ian

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Photoshop open just fine. The issue I am having is when using the eraser tool. click a couple times to adjust the size of the eraser, the screen locks up.

Are you using 4.0.1 or 4.0.0 for the agent? IIRC there is at least one bug which is triggered with very large cursor sizes which is what you get with Photoshop when you make the eraser bigger.

You could work around it by disabling the cursor acceleration with a custom virtual machine setting: svga.noHWCursor = TRUE in the .vmx file I believe will fix the problem, but it will decrease performance.

I know the bug is fixed in 4.5 so if you're in the 4.5 RC program you could give that a shot. I don't know if it's fixed in other versions.

0 Kudos