VMware Cloud Community
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade from 3.5 to 4.0 Update1 failed - vicfg-cfgbackup.pl too

I'm using ESXi 3.5 (build-153875) running on HP Desktop PC having system and VMs stored on harddisks connected to SATA RAID controller MegaRAID 8308ELP.

This combination is running without any problems for a long time, but the VMware Infrastructure Update Utility is not working any longer and the vSphere Host Update Utility 4.0 is not capable of patching 3.5 Hosts, so I decided to upgrade my host to 4.0 ... and failed.

Upgrade using the Host Update Utility failed with the well know error message: "Unsupported boot disk: The boot device layout on the host does not support upgrade." So I installed 4.0 on a new USB stick and successfully booted my server, even the storage is browsable. Is there a chance to get my host upgraded to the installed system?

I tried also plan b: Make a backup of the installed server (3.5) and tried to restore it on the server (4.0) running from USB but get this error message: "Restore failed: fault.InvalidBundle.summary". For me it sounds like a restore from 3.5 to 4.0 is not allowed. Am I right? If so, what else can I do?

If both plans are not working, any ideas what else can I do?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Reply
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found a solution myself:

1. Take a backup of ESXi 3.5 configuration using vicfg-cfgbackup.pl

2. Install ESXi 3.5 with identical build version on a new USB stick

3. Reboot Server and start from USB stick

4. Restore config using vicfg-cfgbackup.pl

5. Upgrade ESXi 3.5 to 4.0