VMware Cloud Community
tomagoaluminium
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade of VIC 2 to VCenter Server 4

When upgrading from VIC 2 to VC4 we get error regarding DSN needs upgrading.

We install SQL Express 2005 to resolve this.

we upgrade the DSN source to use new SQL Native Client, Version 2005.90.4035.00 SQLNCLI.DLL 24/11/2008

Try the install again, and then new message

This DSN points to an unsupported database type. The supported databases are Oracle 10g or higher, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher, IBM DB2 9.5 or higher.

Can someone please tell me what i am missing?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
tomagoaluminium
Contributor
Contributor

it is only connecting to the local MSDE database.

i have installed a higher version than the link sent

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you mean SQL Express, correct? MSDE is not a supported DB for vCenter4. What version are you upgrading from? If you are using an MSDE instance it's not supported. You will have to do a clean install on another Server.

• If you are upgrading from VirtualCenter 2.0.x and you are using the previously bundled demonstrationMSDE database, you must perform a clean installation of vCenter Server. VirtualCenter 2.0.x with thedemonstration MSDE database has no supported upgrade path to vCenter Server 4.0.

</div>

0 Kudos
tomagoaluminium
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i have installed SQL Express 2005

MSDE is currently in use for the VC

It is version 2 currently.

I have installed on fresh machine, can i remove the existing ESX3 hosts from VC and then attach them to new vCentre Server 4?

i will prob need to move the licences across too

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, you can disconnect and remove, then add host into the new environment. You will have to install a standalone license source, http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx_35_licenseserver_dt/dGViZGVoKmIqZA== , or keep your other license server running.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_legacy_host_lic.pdf

0 Kudos
tomagoaluminium
Contributor
Contributor

there is a section for licensing within vcenter server 4 for esx 3.x hosts etc

if i just put in the existing name of the license server where the current vcenter server is it should work

with the disconnecting and removing of the host, this wont have any impact on the virtual machines running on the host will it?

i think i will need to patch the current hosts first though so they are sweet with version 4 of vcenter

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

there is a section for licensing within vcenter server 4 for esx 3.x hosts etc

if i just put in the existing name of the license server where the current vcenter server is it should work

yes that will be fine

with the disconnecting and removing of the host, this wont have any impact on the virtual machines running on the host will it?

you shouldn't affect the running vm's by a disconnect and remove.

i think i will need to patch the current hosts first though so they are sweet with version 4 of vcenter

ok

0 Kudos
tomagoaluminium
Contributor
Contributor

i ran the upgrade checker and my existing hosts failed as they are missing patches, so doing this will help the disconnect and reconnect to new server

0 Kudos