VMware Cloud Community
aurimask
Contributor
Contributor

Need help sizing CPU

Hello,

I need information on how to size cpu power. I have 24 physical servers. I have average and peak utilization on each. How can i aproximately tell what CPU power i need in total.

I know that the sum of peaks or average of averages would not be correct estimation.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The best way to size CPU for your ESX environment is to use a tool like Capacity Planner however you can use the data you have collected - you are right do not use peaks because you will befinitely oversize your environment - peaks should only be used if you are seeing all 24 hosts are peaking at the same time but if they are distributed during different times you should be okay to use the average cpu utiliztion multiplied by the respective clock cycles (MHz) to get an estimate of what you would need -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
aurimask
Contributor
Contributor

I know that, but maybe there is some formula to include peaks and averages to get the more accurate value ?

0 Kudos
lanamarkinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lanamark Suite normalizes CPU workloads between source and target processor architectures. It also allows you to come up with optimal VM placement on VMware hosts to minimize processor contention, maximize performance and avoid unnecessary migrations.

0 Kudos
Varunsh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please find the attached sheet for capacity planning

CPU Load Calculations

Memory load calculations

Disk allocation settings

Able to configure for multiple hosts

Provides a easy to read output

created by ( bckirsch) refer :http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-11488

0 Kudos