VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX host get "URB timed out - USB device may not respond" during reboot ?

We are running vSphere on a DELL PowerEdge Server. We have lost access to Service Console.

When we reboot that server, we get the following error message:

"URB timed out - USB device may not respond"

We have checked in OpenManage and it reports that there is no problem with system - HD / Memory or CPU.

Your advice is sought.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From the VMKernel Log File, we find that for each CPU on that host, we get the following message:

cpu7:4110)Vol3: 1544: Could not open device '4bb090a5-626f3206-519b-0026b9612b69' for probing: No such target on adapter

cpu7:4110)Vol3: 608: Could not open device '4bb090a5-626f3206-519b-0026b9612b69' for volume open: No such target on adapter

cpu7:4110)FSS: 3702: No FS driver claimed device '4bb090a5-626f3206-519b-0026b9612b69': Not supported

However, we have checked with other ESX Hosts and confirmed that all volumes are presented to the ESX Host in trouble. We have no idea of what '4bb090a5-626f3206-519b-0026b9612b69' is.

We have also attached the vmkernel log file for reference.

Thanking you in anticipation.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have ESX or ESXi?

Have you see this KB?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010940

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did read that article but unfortunately, we are running ESX 4 Host (not ESXi).

Thanks

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a iDRAC Enterprise? If yes have you tried to disable the virtual device and the internal SD card?

Andre

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, we are using iDRAC6. In DRAC Configuraiton, we have already select "No Floppy / USB" and "No CD / DVD ROM".

May I ask a silly quesiton, how to disable virtual device ? Is it necessary to be disabled in BIOS ?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

You have to enter in iDRAC configuration (F8 or F6 during the POST).

Andre

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Andre,

We cannot find out any way to disable virtual device in DRAC.

On the other hand, the problem is solved by upgrading the DRAC firmware to latest release.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See above

0 Kudos
sarlacc
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this nuisance message also.  For me, it was also the virtual media in the iDRAC.

After checking with Dell on this problem, here is the recommended way to fix this:

Login to your DRAC

Select the Console/Media tab

Under Virtual Media, set the Status from Auto Detach (or whatever it is) to Detach

If you need to attach an ISO (for example), this will obviously need to be changed to Attach or Auto Attach.

Also, if you get Lost connectivity to storage device mpx.vmhba## messages, it may be related.  In my case, it was vmhba38.  Doing a esxcfg-scsidevs -l and looking for vmhba38 shows that the vendor is iDRAC.

0 Kudos
Notch201110141
Contributor
Contributor

We get the timeout error on our Dell PEs, and DRAC console media is already set to 'detach'.  Dell has never been able to successfully reverse engineer the USB bus,

0 Kudos
VMCHIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue and have set the virtual media to Detach and I am still getting the alert.

Do you have to reboot the servers after making this change to get rid of this alert?

0 Kudos
sarlacc
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a good answer for you yet, but I can tell you that setting the DRAC to detach does not require a reboot.

0 Kudos
VMCHIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anybody have an idea on how to stop this URB Timed out message from happening?  I have turned off "Detach" the Virtual  Media setting and have rebooted the server and the message still comes up.  I have two servers doing this that are running vSphere ESXi 4.0 U2.  At the moment I cannot upgrade these servers to anything newer, but I need to fix this as I am getting a ton of these emails every day from these 2 servers.

I am running ESXi on Dell R710 running iDRAC6 firmware 1.80 and system BIOS 2.0.13

0 Kudos
RedLimey
Contributor
Contributor

I am out of the office Monday, February 20th 2012.

• Confidentiality Notice **********

This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings

are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)

identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged,

confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law.

If the receiver of this information is not the intended recipient, or the

employee, or agent responsible for delivering the information to the

intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading,

dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information is

strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please

notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic transmission,

including all attachments from your system.

0 Kudos
mrjamescollins
Contributor
Contributor

We have probably 70ish Dell R710s running ESXi 4.1 update one and the newest iDRAC6 firmware (1.80) and they all are taking turns spitting this message out, disconnecting the virtual media next and hoping for some different results...

hopefully.

0 Kudos
VMCHIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updating all firmwares and bios to the latest version seems to of fixed the problem.  My servers had the latest DRAC v1.80 firmware on them already and that did not help at all.  Try updating one of the problems childs fully and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
mrjamescollins
Contributor
Contributor

I will give it a shot on these boxes and see if it clears the issue. Thanks for the prompt response and I will write back with my findings (this could be a little while)

0 Kudos
VMCHIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problem.  It was driving me crazy for awhile now and wanted to try everything to get rid of those pesky messages.

Good luck and hopefully you also have success!

Sean

0 Kudos
Upul
Contributor
Contributor

Following should fix the issue being discussed on this thread,

1. Reboot the affected server, and login to DRAC card {Press (Ctrl+E) when card details are prompted during boot up}, reset the settings to factory defaults. (obviously this means you will have to reconfigure the card again)
  2. Select “Virtual Media Configuration” and make sure Virtual Media set to Detached and Virtual Flash set to Disabled, save and exit
  3. Restart (Error message should be gone!!!!)
  4. If not POWER DOWN the server  and unplug power cable physically to disconnect power to DRAC
  5. above steps should do the trick, if not a hard option is to open the server and remove DRAC and reseat teh card(optional)

Let me know how it goes Smiley Wink

0 Kudos