VMware Cloud Community
cngoh
Contributor
Contributor

vCPU calculation and converter compatiblity

Hi all,

1) Is there any guide to measure the vCPU? Let said I have a quad core processor. 1 core is consists of 8 threads. Total is 32 threads. Does it mean that I can have up to 32 vCPU? 1 thread equal to 1 vCPU?

2) I have esxi 3.5. Is it ok to use converter 4.0 to peform p2v? Or need to use back converter 3.5?

regards.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums -

1) In terms of vCPUs per core I try to gauge the amount of cycles being used by the physical CPU - tools liker VMware's Capacity Planner and PlateSpins Power Recon will measure this -

2) Yes there is no problem using Converter 4.0 to virtualize machines to ESX 3.5 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You should have 32 logical CPUs on this system. I already saw HT quadcore with 2 threads per processor and the host had a total of 8 CPUs. Now, you are not limited to this 32 for creating VMs - the sum of vCPUs on the VMs can be bigger than the total logical CPUs. ESX will be in charge of scheduling it. The limit on vSphere is 512 vCPUs per host - obviously you must have resources for handle such workload.

About the other question, converter 4 can convert to ESX 3.5, no problem at all.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos