VMware Cloud Community
THX2k6
Contributor
Contributor

how-to creat an alarm "CD-ROM connected"?

Hi,

is it possible to create an alarm which is triggered when a cd-rom is connected to a vm? It's distracting when you want to use the maintenace mode an someone forgot to disconnect a cd-rom, especially when you want to update esx-server over night and DRS stopps working because of the connected cd-rom.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe, there's an alarm for "Ressource added" (I don't know how this alarm is exactly called in English). It is an event type alarm.

But I don't believe that this will do it.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

Hi!

Yeah, I suppose you can:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsp40/admin/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#href=c_working_with_alarms....

iSCSI Software Support Department

http://www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
Narayanan_5245
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Can you help to share the steps to follow how to configure alarm for CD-ROM Connected VM in the vCenter.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Narayanan.

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

wow this is a 10 year old thread..... From what i can see in vCenter alarms, its not possible. Do you have vROPS?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
Narayanan_5245
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we don't have vRops..using the default vCenter alarms.

0 Kudos
Narayanan_5245
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any custom alarm can be configured for VM state?.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A quick Google search and you will find scripts that can check this status for your VMs, and take action should you wish to reconfigure such VMs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Narayanan_5245
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. My requirement is not to get the report of VM CDROM connected state. Need to configure custom alarm to trigger alert if vm left with CDROM ISO image in connected state.

Searched in Google, no positive result for triggering alarm of CD/DVD drive connected state in vCenter

Please advise with your comments if any for the same.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That is my point, there is no alarm for that but you can execute a script to check (and take corrective action)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos