2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 10:59 AM by derekb13

P2V'ing your VirtualCenter Server

derekb13 Novice

Our VirtualCenter server is sitting on an ancient piece of junk box that needs to be retired. As I started pondering the VI3->vSphere4 upgrade path, I realized that I really wanted to try and end up with my vCenter Server box being in a VM.  I thought I might start that process in motion by P2V'ing my existing VI3 VirtualCenter server over to a VM. I could then snapshot it, and begin the upgrade process (and, if there's any problems, my reversion path becomes simply reverting to the snapshot).

Has anyone ever done this? From reading the directions it SEEMS like I wouldn't be able to use the cold-clone boot CD, because it wants to talk to VirtualCenter (which, by definition, would be down at that point). But if I've got VirtualCenter up and running using a hot-migration, the databases won't be quiesced and easily migrated, etc., etc.

Some experiences from people who've either done or tried this before would be really helpful.

• 1. Re: P2V'ing your VirtualCenter Server
          andreasgold Novice

Guten Tag,

vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht. Ich bin am 12.04.2010 wieder im Büro erreichbar.

Ihre E-Mail werde ich dann umgehend beantworten. Bitte wenden Sie sich in dringenden Fällen unter der Rufnummer 09561 5543-0 an unsere Zentrale, da Ihre Nachricht nicht weitergeleitet wird.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Andreas Gold

Leiter Rechenzentrum

• 2. Re: P2V'ing your VirtualCenter Server
            derekb13 Novice

Are you kidding me? An auto-responder? To a community-forum posting? Blerg.

Mostly I posted this so I'd have the option to say "No, my question has not been answered yet" rather than have the autoresponder leave it in "might already be answered", because obviously it's not