VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Guest O/s: insufficient system resources

Our Virtual environment is ESX3.5 Upd6 with VirtualCenter 2.5. The host in question has 128gb RAM, quad-quad core proc and uses FibreChannel SAN backend. One of the VMs on this host has Windows 2003 standard, with 1gb RAM, single Proc and first vDD of 25gb and second vDD of 40gb. In the last 3 days (after doing Shavlik patching on it...not to say it was Shavlik) the VM has been acting slow and often hangs with the following Windows message; Insufficient System Resources.

I checked the host resources on the cluster and there is lots of unreserved CPU and memory. No alerts. No events that show issues with the VM. ESXTop does not show any CPU or memory issues.

My guess is it is a Guest O/S issue but want to check with the forum first because the first thought everyone has is "it is a virtual problem because it is a virtual machine". How can I show them they are wrong? if I am wrong.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

Sounds like its a guest OS problem.

Do you have any system monitoring tools installed or available?

Spend a few minutes monitoring the processes with Windows task monitor, run perfmon on the system to get some trending. Typical memory hogs are DBs and AV software. I am not too familar with Shavlik but confirm that the patches are not causing the issue. If you took a snapshot that could come in handy.

Maybe you want to increase the ram for the guest, but it would be best to find which process is taking up your resources.

I have heard the "it is a virtual problem because it is a virtual machine." It usually comes from people who do not know or fully understand the technology.

-

Robert

BSIT, MCP, A+, VCP (VI3)

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Appreciate it. We have a NetIQ administrator. I've consulted with him and he's looking into it. thanks very much.

0 Kudos
David_Shephard
Contributor
Contributor

Hi pearlyshells,

I'm the manager of the NetIQ user community over here:

If you or your NetIQ adminstrator need any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

David