VMware Communities
gjw
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation NAT configuration: switch of hub?

When I configure Workstation with the NAT networking option, should it act as a switch or a hub? I was expecting the former, but wireshark in one guest VM sees ALL the traffic of the other guests. Am I mistaken about it supposed to be a switch? Do I need to do something on the host? Is there a way to configure VMware networking to behave as a switch or as a hub?

Thanks,

-gjw-

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

You do not run Workstation in NAT mode, you choose that per guest. How are your guests configured like?

Using NAT connects a guest to a virtual switch where other guests using NAT are also connected to. The host is the NAT device and handles outbound communication. BTW, the NAT de3vice is bound to every TCP/IP stack on the host.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
gjw
Contributor
Contributor

I did mean as you mention that I have several guests running in NAT mode. If they do connect to a virtual SWITCH, how is it that wireshark sees ALL the traffic between the guests?

-gjw--

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

How is the sniffer configured? Bridged?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
gjw
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what you mean with "Bridged". I don't see such an option in wireshark when I select the "VMware AMD PCNet Adapter" for the interface. The guest it is running on is configured as NAT, not bridged.

-gjw-

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

FYI - the documentation is wrong: what VMware calls virtual switches are actually hubs. Thats why you can sniff the traffic with iwreshark

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

gjw
Contributor
Contributor

I was suspecting as much. Any configuration options to change that behavior?

-gjw-

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

No - all the hosted products use virtual hubs.

AFAIK you need to use ESX to get the advertised virtual switches

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FYI - the documentation is wrong: what VMware calls virtual switches are actually hubs. Thats why you can sniff the traffic with iwreshark

I learned something new today. Thanks continuum!

0 Kudos