VMware Communities
8BitKid
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Access Boot Camp Windows 7 Partition

hello, i am running the latest Fusion Beta: Version e.x.p (240138)

i have Windows 7 installed in a Boot Camp partitiion. i created this partiiton by using the boot camp setup utility to create the space, and then i installed windows 7. when i try to setup the Boot Camp partition, i get the following error:

"Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed.
You may not be able to boot your Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine. "

if i then click to continue and try to start the VM i get the following error:

"Cannot open the disk '/Users/8BitKid/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
Reason: Resource busy."

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Try this:

Use Finder to navigate to your Home Folder > Library > Application Support > VMware Fusion > Virtual Machines

There should be a 'Boot Camp' folder in there. Simply throw it to the trash. It will not affect any of the data within Windows.

Launch Fusion and let us know if that helps, or if you continue to get those errors.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
8BitKid
Contributor
Contributor

I deleted the VM in the Boot Camp folder, but unfortunately the problem still remains.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you boot to the Boot Camp partiton natively? Try that and make sure that you use the Start menu to shut it down completly. Then use Mike's instructions to throw away the Boot Camp stub and try it again.

0 Kudos
8BitKid
Contributor
Contributor

i can access the partition through Boot Camp, and have successfully shut down the OS and made sure there are no problems, but deleting the VM and trying again still does not get me past this error.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

What happens if you un-mount / eject the BootCamp drive from the desktop before launching Fusion?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
8BitKid
Contributor
Contributor

the partition does not show up on my desktop. since it is windows 7, i imagine it is a NTFS partition, which i can't mount in OSX.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...i imagine it is a NTFS partition, which i can't mount in OSX.

FYI: OSX is able to natively mount and read NTFS partitions. My Boot Camp partition with Win7Pro is always shown on my OSX desktop (except when being used in a Fusion virtual machine, of course.)

0 Kudos
8BitKid
Contributor
Contributor

i wonder why it doesn't mount for me. what does disk utility say about the disk format for that volume?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Nothing special about the way I created it, just with Boot Camp Assistant as normal. (It shows as NTFS-3G because I've loaded that. But otherwise, OSX will natively mount NTFS partitions.)

0 Kudos
enigmakv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all.

Same problem here. I erased my Boot Camp partition with 32-bit Win7 to upgrade to 64-bit.

With the old 32-bit Win7 in Boot Camp, I had Fusion access. Now, with 64-bit Win7 residing on the Boot Camp partition, the Virtual Machine Library in Fusion (3.0.2) does not show the Boot Camp partition.

As added information, I modified /etc/fstab to prevent the Boot Camp partition from mounting on my Mac desktop. I had the same configuration with the 32-bit install and it ran fine so I assume something else is going on here.

0 Kudos
enigmakv
Contributor
Contributor

Disregard my post above.

I found the icon in the "Home" menu to set up the Boot Camp partition. Looks like things are working properly.

0 Kudos
dfung
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'm suffering exacly the same Boot Camp/Windows 7 problem documented here - partition preprocessing failed, and when I try to launch the Windows 7 VM, I get the "resource busy" error.

There's a bunch of changes leading up to this problem that might be somewhat unique, but I don't think that the directly are causing the problem. I have a 15" MacBook Pro, the first LED backlight version (3 years old?), 4GB RAM, fully patched Leopard. I had a 250GB HD, where I was running the fully updated version of Fusion 2 with XP SP3 under Fusion with no Boot Camp or Boot Camp partition.

I just swapped in a 500GB drive which prompted a bunch of updates:

1. Leopard->Snow Leopard (fully patched as of today). Everything's fine here

2. 268GB partition for MacOS, all the rest for BootCamp (231GB), as reported by MacOS Disk Utility

3. Fusion 2->Fusion 3.1

4. Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit in Boot Camp (runs fine, other than my not knowing where anything is in Windows 7)

Post the update, Mac OS is fine, and my old XP Fusion VM works fine too. But the Windows 7/Boot Camp VM is not launchable.

I tried all the various steps laid out in this thread with no joy (these various steps in the orders they were called out before, but lumped together here)

• Full shutdown of Windows 7 in the Boot Camp environment

• Quit Fusion

• Delete Boot Camp and Helper folders in Home/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/Virtual Machines

• Restart

• Launch Fusion->Home create Boot CampVM

• Unmount BOOTCAMP partition in the Finder

• Unmount BOOTCAMP partition in Disk Utilities

There's no difference in outcome after any of these steps

A couple things that might be a factor here - is this because of the large partitions in play here?

One other factor - I migrated my Mac environment to the new hard drive via Carbon Copy Cloner. Prior to cloning, I used the OS X Disk Utility to do a 260/220GB manual partition beforehand, with the 260GB formatted to HFS, and the 220 unformatted in anticipation of a Windows install. Of course, it turns out that Boot Camp will only work on a single partition disk. So I extended the 260GB Mac partition back out to full size and let Boot Camp split it back by itself, recreating the 260/230 split. There seems to be no problem with the Mac OS or Boot Camp worlds, but perhaps this is a factor for Fusion. If there's a different partition map tool that would be interesting to get results from, I'm all ears.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

D Fung

0 Kudos
LO5
Contributor
Contributor

I was receiving the same error 'Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed' when I tried to use Windows 7 on a boot camp partition. I deleted the extended partition that I had created within Windows using the Disk Manager and then resized the windows partition back to its original size. Fusion 3.1.1 was able to process the boot camp partition after I did this and it booted ok.

0 Kudos