13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 9:05 AM by Vandeezy

Revert to Snapshot not working properly

Slasky Novice

Hello everyone

I've made a VM machine to make images on, to get as clean images as possible. And during this process I've taken alot of snapshots, and reverted, but now it seems that the reverting doesnt work. It doesn't put the machine back in the state it was, even though the server says its reverted.

Any suggestions on this?

Greetings Slasky

• 1. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
          AWo Guru

How do you figure out that the snapshot manager hasn't reverted the guest?

Which host OS?

Which VMware product?

Can you provide a listing of the guest directory, please.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

• 2. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
            Slasky Novice

Hey and thanks for the reply

The host OS is Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 and the guest OS is Windows 7.

The way I see that the snapshot isnt reverting, is that if I take a snapshot in a loginwindow, and log in, make a few folders and then revert, nothing happens. The reverting takes alot less time than it usual does.

I use the VMware Server 2.0 (The free version), and I'm not sure what you mean about guest directory? Do you mean listing the contents of the datastore of the VM machine?

• 3. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
              AWo Guru
              Slasky schrieb:

Do you mean listing the contents of the datastore of the VM machine?

Yes, the directory where all files belonging to a virtual machine are stored. After you have deleted all snapshots.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

• 4. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                Slasky Novice

Attached the pic with the listings after I've removed the snapshot. Let me know if you see something out of the ordenary

• 5. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                  AWo Guru

I see there are still (six) snapshot files. If no snapshots are shown in your Snapshot manager, create a new one, wait a moment and commit it. That should commit all others, as well.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                    Slasky Novice

Thanks for the reply, but sorry to seem like a newbie, but how do I commit the other snapshots?

And is there somewhere I can see the snapshot manager? All I've seen is the menu at the VM itself.

• 7. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                      AWo Guru

Read page 199 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmserver2.pdf.

Do you want to get rid of all snapshots?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                        Slasky Novice

Well, if all those snapshotfiles are making the VM go heywire since it cant read the snapshot correctly, I would try to remove the snapshots. Is it just to delete the old snapshotfiles? And thats the files with the .vmdk endings right?

• 9. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                          AWo Guru

No, don't delete them. There are references to them. Create one new snapshot and delete it via the Web-GUI. Then all others should go, as well.

If that doesn't work we can think of deleting the snapshots manually.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

• 10. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                            Slasky Novice

Okey, I'll try making a new snapshot, deleting it and if that doesnt work, I'll try a manual delete

• 11. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                              crazyborris Novice

I had a similar issue with a guest that had multiple snapshots - something that VMware Server doesn't support. I guess there's a bug that doesn't correctly delete the snapshot, but it still allows you to create another. That's when you're stuck because there's no option to delete the previous snapshots.

In my situation I wasnted to delete rather than revert the snapshots. As I had 167 snapshots using Converter seemed like the best option.

http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/8902/VMDK.JPG

Are you looking to get back to the original VMDK before the multiple snapshots were created?

I don't think you can even use vmrun listsnapshots in Server (Workstation only) so I suspect that reverting to a specified snapshot using vmrun also won't work.

You might be looking at a manual delete......or if you've got Workstation you could try copying the VM's files to Workstation and managing the snapshots in there - never tried this, just a thought.

• 12. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                                Slasky Novice

Manual deletion worked.

Thanks alot for the input and replies

Greetings Slasky

• 13. Re: Revert to Snapshot not working properly
                                  Vandeezy Lurker

Hi,

I'm facing the same exact scenario. Can't revert my snapshots, except my host is running the VMWare Hypervisor 5.1 (ESXi) and I have no idea how to manually delete these snapshots in order to make them work. Any suggestions?