VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX4i interfacing with VirtualCenter2.5?

We have a Citrix terminal Server that we want to convert to ESX4i (mainly because Citrix TS was not able to perform as desired). This is a Dell Server with Quad/Quad Cores and 32GB RAM and lot of local disk capacity. The idea for this server is to have 20 Thin Client devices remotely access it to individual VMs stored on the local drives. This is a special use host. We also have VirtualCenter2.5 managing our general populate production VMs but this server will not be managed like the other ESX3.5 hosts that we have because of special security requirements imposed by our State Govt.

Here is my question: Can we administer this ESX4i host on our VirtualCenter server? If so, will there be a license cost to make this connection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

indeed. vCenter4 can manage both VI3 and vSphere4 hosts with no problems.

I'll link this, just in case (page 3)

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will need vCenter4 to manage ESX(i)4 Hosts. Plus, with the free edition of ESXi, you would have to purchase an additional vCenter management agent license to add it into vCenter4

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy.

Was afraid of that. We do, however, have the option to install ESX3i,correct? Then, we could interface the ESX3i host with the rest of our ESX3.5 hosts to administer it IF we purchase the VC license?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, ESXi 3.5 will be fine.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

one other thought...hope you don't mind me bouncing these ideas off you.........if we upgrade our VirtualCenter 2.5 to VCenter4, VCenter4 can manage the mixed environment , correct? Then, we could introduce ESX4i into the mix with VCenter agent license,correct?

Just weighing the possibilities for us.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

indeed. vCenter4 can manage both VI3 and vSphere4 hosts with no problems.

I'll link this, just in case (page 3)

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if we upgrade our VirtualCenter 2.5 to VCenter4, VCenter4 can manage the mixed environment , correct?

Yes.

Then, we could introduce ESX4i into the mix with VCenter agent license,correct?

Yes.

pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very Cool. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos