VMware Horizon Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

The display protocol for this desktop is currently busy

I am getting this error when connecting in view

The display protocol is currently busy processing a request. Please contact your system administrator

0 Kudos
5 Replies
geddam
Expert
Expert

Does this happens with a particular desktop in pool or all desktops in the pool? Have you tried changing the protocol from PCOIP to RDP?

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
beangbs
Contributor
Contributor

I started having the same exact problem this morning. When I would login to my virtual machine from the View Client, I would get the following error message: "The display protocol for this desktop is currently busy processing a request. Please contact your system administrator."

I fought the problem for about 3 hours and finally called tech support. He looked at some internal engineering KB and had me do the following:

From the console on the problem machine:

1. Went to the registry folder: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009\

2. From within that folder, look at the Counter string. My problem machine was completely blank under the Counter string. I went to a known good vm and looked at the same string, which had many different items in the string value.

He then had me go to the known good machine and copy the following 2 files (perfc009.dat and perfh009.dat) from c:\windows\system32\ to the same folder on the problem machine. When I started copying the files, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the existing files. It seemed to be the perfc009.dat that was the problem file because when it asked me to overwrite the file, it said that I was going to change the file from a 0 kb file to a 73 kb file.

Once I copied the 2 files over, I immediately tried logging into the problem machine (without rebooting it) and was able to login successfully.

Now I can go to the Counter string in the registry, and it is no longer blank like before.

I asked the tech if he would try to get that internal engineering KB added to the general KB site, so we as end users would be able to search this fix.

I hope this helps you resolve your problem.

0 Kudos
thranx
Contributor
Contributor

So, a bit of a post necro this, but I'm seeing this issue as well, but it's recurring quite frequently. We're running an environment of approximately 1200 VMs, no pools, all one-to-ones. Last year we were using RDP, this summer we upgraded everything to view 4.0.1 and are using PCOIP. Switch a box back to RDP and we don't have this issue.

Wondering if anyone has see this issue repeating itself. I have no idea where to look or begin troubleshooting. Dropping those files in place works, but the issue will just occur again 2 days, a week or a month out or never... it's quite inconsistant. With 1200 machines, I'm seeing 2-5 everyday with this issue.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello thranx,

If you're still on the 4.0.1 platform, I suggest an upgrade to VIE4.5 as

your first step - it contains relevant updates. If you are already on

4.5, the next step would be to log this issue with the VMware support

team.

0 Kudos
thranx
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, upgrading 13 view servers isn't exactly a simple bug fix... but that's been the typical VMWare response, and was the response they gave without even being able to point to any update/patch or KB articles that stated that 4.5 fixed this issue.

Love ESX and VCS, but our experience with View has been rather horrid. I'm voting for finding a different connection broker solution, but we're here, now, and we've got to make it work as-is.

Beyond "upgrade," any useful troubleshooting tips would be warmly recieved. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos