VMware Cloud Community
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DvSwitch issue

I’ve completed upgrading our infrastructure to vSphere 4 update 1 without issue and have started looking at our DR process and updating our internal documentation for VM recovery. We currently have a separate vCenter installation and a cluster of 6 hosts at DR, we use our SAN technology to replicate the 12 500Gb vmfs volumes to the remote site. I have managed to script the presenting of SAN views, and mounting them using the esxcfg-volume –r command, which works a treat. However i have encountered a small unexpected issue with the networking side.

Under VI3 we used standard switches on both sides, with the port group names referring to the VLAN (10.96.0.x, 10.96.1.x etc) the port group names were the same at each site so when adding a mirrored VM to the inventory at the other side the networking was fine.

Under vSphere 4 we are using the DvSwitch, i have set the switches up on both sides with the same name and the port groups are also identica as far as i can telll, unfortunately when i add a VM to the inventory the network comes up as “invalid backplane” any ideas how i could get around this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndyBookless
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have just come across exactly the same issue. I have not found any fix other than to go back to standard switches. I have several sites using SAN replicated failover, I am surprised at this limitation with DV switches.

My only thought would be to place all the servers within the same datacenter within vCenter. I am not sure of any problems with doing this other than the documentation saying DV switches should not span datacenters, but with no reason why.

Have yo ugot anywhere with the problem?

Andy

0 Kudos