VMware Cloud Community
Noxz
Contributor
Contributor

Converstion Stops at 10% - Failed to Clone Volume

Hi All,

Hope I could get some help on this. I'm new to vCenter and am having a problem trying to convert a XP SP3 physical box to VM. Everytime I try to convert it I get an error that vCenter failed to clone volume 'C:' and the conversion stops. It always seems to happen around 10%. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? I've seen other people add their error logs to the post, I see the "export logs" option however I'm not sure which file within the zip is needed?

Thanks

-Noxz

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There are some causes of failure here:

http://www.vmwarewolf.com/vmotion-fails-at-10-percent/

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Noxz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify a few things. I'm using vCenter Converter Standalone, not vMotion. Also...If I don't change the HD size while converting it will successfully convert. Any thoughts, I did go through the site that was reccomended to me..based on the things I could check everything seems ok.

-Noxz

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check the error logs and it will tell you a bit more info.

Generally the errors I have seen are caused by network issues, disks config, number of processors etc.

Reduce the number of processors, remove unneccesary NIC's and readd later, ensure disks are defragged and have enough space etc.

Also disable any of the services that will be physical only HP insight agents etc

If you have had a failure I usually remove and readd the agent as well (may require a bounce).

If you can convert this successfully from physical to a VM, why not re-run this once it has been virtualised and see if its possible to change drive size then?

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you use 4.0.1 or 3.0.3 ? - for XP I would first try 3.0.3

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos