VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

jumbo frames on VM nic

We want to implement Jumbo Frames for our vMotion netowrk. This network shared 2 physical Nics with the Service Console and is separated from the VM network. Is the only way to change the NIC configuration to allow Jumbo Frames via CLI? If so, how do I do that? I don't see a way in VirtualCenter. We have VC2.5 and ESX3.5 and our VMs run Windows 2003 32 and 64 bit as well as Windows 2008 but most are not setup for vmxnet so will need to change it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Why do you want to implement jumbo frames on the vmotion network? As long as you are running on a GB network your should be fine -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

My boss went to vsphere trg and was told it is a must do

Email from blackberry hand held device. Please excuse errors in typing.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Why is it BEST PRACTICE and a MUST DO (according to a vSphere instructor) to use Jumbo Frames on vMotion port group vNICs/vSwitch? We currently are on ESX3.5 and on a Fibre Channel connection to our SAN. I don't see any CPU issues thusfar; and, while I understand that Jumbo Frames improve CPU Utilitization I don't see a real need to implement it now. So, I question why it is a MUST DO. Is this specifically for vSphere implementation that Jumbo Frames be implemented?

0 Kudos