VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS3 file size

have DataStores that are formatted at 1mb. This means my maximum file size is 256gb. However, I have a server that has several physical disks. All are under 256gb but two are configured as dynamic volume/ mirrored (256gb +105gb). How does ESX3.5 see this dynamic set? As a single file? If so, then I'll have problems converting it to VM, won't I?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

With a block size of 1MB you have a limit 256 GB (for each vmdk).

But if you use two vmdk and use the guest OS to join them (with dynamic volumes or LVM) the you can have a logical volume greater than 256 GB.

How does ESX3.5 see this dynamic set? As a single file?

It can only see each vmdk file

If so, then I'll have problems converting it to VM, won't I?

You must be really sure to copy all files.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert

It seems your datastore may VMFS-2,Because VMFS2 only will support upto 456 GB file with 1 MB block size

regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

It is VMFS3

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

I just discussed this problem with my coworker who is working the task. Also, was advised that this is not a physical server but already a VM. I didn't realize it had already been converted to VM. Was away last week. Did not get an update until just now. After the conversion the task was modified to have the vDisks separated to different DataStores. They are on one DataStore now.

I checked and the DataStores are all VMFS3 with 1mb block size. The VM is Windows 2008 and has 6 vdisks (256gb/256gb/105gb/80gb/80gb and 30gb). One of the 256gb drive is actually dynamically spanned with the 105gb drive (was incorrect with what I said earlier....corrected by coworker who is actually doing the task). He was able to do storage migration of all drives to another datastore (all of them together). But, the requirement is to segregate the drives to several different DataStores (each datastore serves a different purpose....Logs, Data, etc). He tried to sMotion the drives to different DataStores but could not so he's trying to do V2V. As he tried to do this, he got a "file size" error. So, that is where we are now. Trying to figure the error out.

If the spanned drives is not what is causing the problem then could it be the total combined size of the VM? It is about 800GB but doing a V2V, would the sizing requirement be 2x that? Does not the conversion create a snapshot file of equal size? So, making it 1.6TB. With 1mb block size the total volume size can not exceed 1TB,correct?

0 Kudos