VMware Cloud Community
Sarek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Alarms mail setting

I have a question about the SMTP function in virtual center

i have configured the vCenter Server Setting => Select Mail sender setting. I filled in SMTP sever and the Sender Account (vCenter@mydomain.com) .

In the defination of the alarms configured my own mail adres withing the action tab.

I tested it by generating a few alarms, but i recieved no mail, instead i got the error "cannot send email to ....."

i checked the exchange server if relaying for the vCenter server was enabled, it was, i use a telnet session to port 25 and got a connection to the microsoft exchange server.

What am i missing ?

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
2 Replies
msemon1
Expert
Expert

The way I have it setup is in Virtual Center -->Administration --> VirtualCenter Managment Server Configuration -->Mail Enter the Mail Server in our Case it is the Exchange Transport Server. I put in the FQDN. For the sender account I have a Exchange account setup for this purpose. Then go to alarms tab >definitions. Right click on alarm and go to edit settings>Action-->Add action. Choose send email alert and for the value you can add which email addresses you want alert to go to.

Mike

0 Kudos
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Sarek, Please try this steps: Select your vCenter Server and go to Configure menu Under General, provide your Mail server (e.g mail.smtpserver.com) and mail sender (e.g vcenter-notification@smtpserver.com) Once done, go to Advance Settings and look for mail.smtp.password and provide the value by clickng the Edit same with mail.smtp.port and set port 25 then lastly, provide the mail.smtp.username Once done click Ok Good Luck!

0 Kudos