4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 1:02 AM by andreasgold

Installing Vmware tools in Ubuntu 9.10

nosneb90 Enthusiast

Can't get vmware tools 2.5.3 build 22981 installed in Ubuntu, always stops at :

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? /usr/src/linux/include

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

If I enter the path to the headers as /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build/generic it comes back with:

The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match your running kernel (versi on 2.6.31-14-generic).

Is there any way to get this version of vmware tools installed in Ubuntu?

• 1. Re: Installing Vmware tools in Ubuntu 9.10
          VTSHOOT Lurker

Hi

I am new so please be kind 

are you installing the RPM or tar.gz??

I was not successful in installing the RPM but you can follow the steps below for tar.gz and see if it helps.

# <span style="font-family: Arial"># Open
               a terminal window then change directory to the mount point for the ISO
               image and copy the gzip tar file to a temporary local directory (e.g.,<span style="font-family: Courier New"># /tmp</span># ):</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New"># # cd /media/cdrom
               # cp VMwareTools-3.0.x-nnnnn.tar.gz /tmp</span>#

# <span style="font-family: Arial"># Change
               directory to the directory where you copied the tar file and extract
               the contents of the tar file into a new directory called<span style="font-family: Courier New"># vmware-tools-distrib</span># :</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New"># # cd /tmp
               # tar zxvf VMwareTools-3.0.x-nnnnn.tar.gz</span>#

# <span style="font-family: Arial"># Change directory into vmware-tools-distrib and run the PERL script<span style="font-family: Courier New"># vmware-install.pl</span># to install the tools.

Note:
               Some warnings or errors are normal, such as if files do not exist.
               Follow the on screen prompts to install the tools. Options in square
               brackets are default choices and can be selected by typing the Enter
               key (e.g., /usr/bin)</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New"># # ./vmware-install.pl</span> <span style="font-family: Arial"># It is normal for the console screen to go blank for a short time during the installation when the display size changes.</span>#

# <span style="font-family: Arial"># After
               the installation completes restart your X session for any mouse or
               graphics changes to take effect. To start the tools running in the
               background during an X server session issue the following command:</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New"># # /usr/bin/vmware-toolbox &</span>#

# <span style="font-family: Arial"># When you have finished installing VMware Tools you can delete the tar file copied in step 4 and the extracted directory.</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New"># # rm /tmp/VMwareTools-3.0.x-nnnnn.tar.gz
               # rm -rf /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib</span>#
          </span>

</div>

don't forget to restart the services or Logout and login. also you will need the C compiler on Ubuntu which I think is installed with the distro.

Hope this helps.

Please give me the points if I was able to help you    

• 2. Re: Installing Vmware tools in Ubuntu 9.10
            nosneb90 Enthusiast

Using tar.gz, extracted to a folder and ran ./vmware-install.pl, get stopped at the same question every time:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? /usr/src/linux/include

Seems like vmware tools 2.5.3 build 22981 isn't capable of completing or compiling due to the directory structure in Ubuntu 9.10, is there a newer version of vmware tools that can be used in esx server 2.5.3 that will work?

• 3. Re: Installing Vmware tools in Ubuntu 9.10
              lukekurtis Lurker

I'm having the same problem installing the VMware tools on 9.10 server.   I've done this successfully, using the exact same method, on the LTS version.  But it isn't working on 9.10.  I was also wondering if I need to get a newer version of the VMware tools?

• 4. Re: Installing Vmware tools in Ubuntu 9.10
                andreasgold Novice

Guten Tag,

vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht. Ich bin am Montag, 22.02.2010 wieder im Büro erreichbar.

Ihre E-Mail werde ich dann umgehend beantworten. Bitte wenden Sie sich in dringenden Fällen unter der Rufnummer 09561 5543-0 an unsere Zentrale, da Ihre Nachricht nicht weitergeleitet wird.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Andreas Gold

Leiter Rechenzentrum