VMware Communities
chrison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMPlayer won't start

I originally had installed VMWare Workstation on my Dell Inspiron laptop running Fedora 12 Linux 64-bit. All was working properly, including VMPlayer. Then, I decided I don't really need all of the features of Workstation, and that I just need VMPlayer. So, I uninstalled Workstation then I downloaded and installed VMPlayer. The application appeared to install properly (i.e. no error messages, etc.). However, when I run VMPlayer, it goes as far as displaying the splash screen for a split second and then stops. I uninstalled it and tried reinstalling it a second time, but no go. I also looked for stale lock files leftover from the Workstation install, but couldn't find anything. (I looked in the ~/vmware directory, but are lock files placed anywhere else that I should be looking?)

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Regards,

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
An_tony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same problem. I had encounterd the problem earlier and remembered what fixed it for me:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1423081#1423081

Short version of fix/workaround:

mv /usr/lib/vmware/resources/mozilla-root-certs.crt /usr/lib/vmware/resources/mozilla-root-certs.crt.old

Hope it fixes it for you, too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chrison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A quick update... I uninstalled VMPlayer 3 and reinstalled Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739. I can open my virtual machine (Windows 7) using Workstation, but VMPlayer still doesn't work... it goes as far as flashing the splash screen for a split second and then stops.

Again, any help in getting the standalone version VMPlayer 3 working will be greately appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So you're saying you can use Workstation just fine, but using Player from the Workstation bundle does not work? That's really weird. =:( Can you please provide the player log (found in /tmp/vmware-$USER/) and the console output that you get when you run "vmplayer" from a command prompt?

0 Kudos
chrison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, vanRijn:

Thanks for replying... this has got me stumped! Smiley Sad

Yes, that's correct... Workstation works just fine, but Player (neither the standalone nor the one bundled with Workstation) get past flashing the splash screen for a split second. Console and log files attached.

Any help/suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
An_tony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same problem. I had encounterd the problem earlier and remembered what fixed it for me:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1423081#1423081

mv /usr/lib/vmware/resources/mozilla-root-certs.crt /usr/lib/vmware/resources/mozilla-root-certs.crt.old

Hope it fixes it for you, too.

0 Kudos
chrison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, An_tony:

That worked! Thanks! MUCH appreciated!

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos