VMware Cloud Community
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How to upgrade 3.0 to 4.0?

Hi, I've read through VMWare's documentation, and al lI can find it pre-requiste checkers, compatibility, and features. But I'm looking for a "step-by-step" guide.

I have one host that's 3.0 and all my other hosts are 4.0. I've moved all VM's off the 3.0 host and put it into Maintenance mode. So now what? Do I load the ESX 4.0 CD into it and boot? Can I use the Update Manager instead? Should I just do a clean install?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You answered your own questions.

Do I load the ESX 4.0 CD into it and boot?

Yes

Can I use the Update Manager instead?

Nope.

Should I just do a clean install?

I would, that's better than upgrading.

MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Will the ESX 4 CD give me an option to choose between upgrade vs clean install?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

unless you have ESX 3.0.3 you can't use VUM. Take a look at the vSphere Upgrade Guide

With that said, in my opinion if going from 3.0.x you should do a clean install.

If you have vCenter and any other modules, they must go first.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Will the ESX 4 CD give me an option to choose between upgrade vs clean install?

AFAIK, the only way to upgrade is to use VUM.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have ESX 3.0.1 though.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

clean build...

Again, if you have vCenter, you should focus on that first.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, I have vCenter...Focus on what though? Using VUM?

What about just formatting the drive and booting up esx 4.0 from a USB thumb drive?

Edit- I see what you mean, updating vCenter. Actually that is the latest version, I'm just updating this one host.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, I have vCenter...Focus on what though? Using VUM?

Upgrade vCenter first, which also cannot be done using VUM

What about just formatting the drive and booting up esx 4.0 from a USB thumb drive?

I am unaware of a way to do this using classic ESX. ESXi, comes embedded, but not ESX

I would advise you to really look, read and know the upgrade guides as well as the installation guides before proceeding

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

...and finally, you have to ensure all your hardware is on the HCL

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

No need to format the drive, ESX boots from a CD. You have the option to delete and start over.

No need to boot from USB.

The focus is to INSTALL VC first because you can't run ESX 4.0 under VC 2.5, you must have VC 4.0 up to manage those hosts. So you should install VC THEN ESX servers from scratch. You can upgrade the VC database, that should not be a problem.

0 Kudos